Recommended preset for 1990s home video?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
qwerty1
New User

Recommended preset for 1990s home video?

Post by qwerty1 »

I have some old home videos from the 1990s that I digitilized a few decades ago. Now I need to transcode the videos to be able to upload them to iCloud.

The videos are 576p25 today.

What preset should I use when transcoding these videos - should I use very fast, fast, slow or very slow? I want the highest possible quality, but of course don't want a larger file size if it won't add any quality.
BradleyS

Re: Recommended preset for 1990s home video?

Post by BradleyS »

If you can't tell the difference between HQ 576p25 Surround and the Super HQ version, use the former.

The NLMeans filter with the Tape tune might help improve noisy/grainy recordings.
Deleted User 13735

Re: Recommended preset for 1990s home video?

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

I want the highest possible quality, but of course don't want a larger file size if it won't add any quality.
That is well stated. Welcome to the forum.
You don't need to worry that much about your encode settings. The presets mentioned are generous compared to your analog source resolution and DV chroma subsampling. Precleaning some shadow noise as suggested can work wonders, but keep it well on the modest side.