Is there a way to disable "Source Selection" at application startup?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
azat11

Is there a way to disable "Source Selection" at application startup?

Post by azat11 »

It's a pet peeve, but it's incredibly annoying for me for some reason.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Is there a way to disable "Source Selection" at application startup?

Post by s55 »

Nope.

Since the UI is disabled until a source file is scanned and the first thing your going to want to do is select a source, there is little point in not showing it by default.

The only exception to this is if the app reloads a queue that was previously unfinished.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

I hate this, too. I liked the way it was before this behavior was introduced. Sometimes I just want to tweak one of my presets, or peruse what options a setting has. It's a little annoy to have to wait until a needless file scans just to access the interface.
azat11

Post by azat11 »

DrXenos wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 12:13 am I hate this, too. I liked the way it was before this behavior was introduced. Sometimes I just want to tweak one of my presets, or peruse what options a setting has. It's a little annoy to have to wait until a needless file scans just to access the interface.
It is. And this thing is completely unnecessary.
azat11

Post by azat11 »

I really, REALLY prefer to choose what to do once I open the app myself. What's the point of shoving this source selection down my throat like I somehow don't know how to press File->Open Source myself?!?

Whatever. This is stupid. Uninstalling it and using something else. Anything else. Not one app in my life did some pointless stuff like this.

Thanks to all for replies.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

Wow, I said it was a little annoying. I don't feel that level of rage over it. :)
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

You know it can be cleared by hitting the ESC key, correct?
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

Woodstock wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:48 pm You know it can be cleared by hitting the ESC key, correct?
Sorry, Woodstock, I don't know if you're talking to me or the OP.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Basically everyone, but the OP in particular.

But, they're free to stop using handbrake if it is so infuriating to them. Eliminating unwanted irritation in life is important to staying happy.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

I only find it a minor annoyance, nothing like the OP feels. As to dismissing "source selection" with ESC: sure you can do that, but it's irrelevant as everything will still be grayed out.

Thanks
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The flow though the UI is: "Source -> Preset / Settings -> Process". As such, the first thing the vast majority of people are going to do is choose a source. Hence, the source selection dialog.

I'd also note that a usability study done on the HandBrake UI by a 3rd party highlighted that new and less experienced users found it harder to know where to start with a blank UI. This effectively solves that problem.

As the UI has become more advanced, many of the tabs require contextual source information to operate correctly. As such, if we just allowed folks in to play around, it would lead to an inconsistent experience when controls don't behave as expected. We'd have to disable many of the controls regardless which would just lead to confusion.

Finally, from a development point of view it also adds complexity as we'd have to gate everything that requires that information. Since there is very little benefit, we simply don't allow it at all.

From source selection, you've got access to the first step in the process and the app preferences which covers the 99% use case. Supporting multiple paths though a UI tends to just lead to bad UI/UX design.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

Completely understand.