get-them-all-no-matter-what setting for subtitles?

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: get-them-all-no-matter-what setting for subtitles?

Post by rollin_eng »

While you seem determined to mess about with m2ts and vob files there is not much more I can help you with.

Although I did notice that your chapters created by HB are probably not what you want.
markfilipak
Bright Spark User

Post by markfilipak »

rollin_eng wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:15 pm While you seem determined to mess about with m2ts and vob files there is not much more I can help you with.
I understand. Thank you for your help; very generous. I feel your frustration and share it.

Yes, I mess about with M2TSs & VOBs. They are where the streams are. I don't know of any alternatives other than MPLSs & IFOs.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

markfilipak wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:08 pm
rollin_eng wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:04 pmOf course HB CAN mux, but it is not a muxer.
Well, it should be, for example, when a user doesn't want to transcode the video.
Screwdrivers: still not hammers.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

You could also use a hex editor and read the 1's and 0's from the HD platters as thats where the data is, its still not a good idea.

The playlists exist for a reason.

I dont know of any program that gets chapters from an m2ts, do you?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

m2ts doesn't support chapters, that's why they're in the mpls.

Ripping the m2ts alone from Blu-rays doesn't make any sense at all.
markfilipak
Bright Spark User

Post by markfilipak »

rollin_eng wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:07 pm You could also use a hex editor and read the 1's and 0's from the HD platters as thats where the data is, its still not a good idea.

The playlists exist for a reason.

I dont know of any program that gets chapters from an m2ts, do you?
M2TS files don't contain chapter indexes. HandBrake gets chapters, but it gets them from MPLS files (I think).
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

As M2TS files dont contain chapters why would you process one in HB and expect the correct chapters?
markfilipak
Bright Spark User

Post by markfilipak »

rollin_eng wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:02 pm As M2TS files dont contain chapters why would you process one in HB and expect the correct chapters?
I don't... Ah, I see the source of confusion, and it's my fault.

I've got about 6 balls in the air and things have gotten a little confused. At some particular experimental set up in the past, I extracted the chapters. Then, in a later experimental set up, I used a preset that I had developed for HandBrake GUI called "p24-subs-&-chaps" which works for HandBrake GUI but not with handbrakecli of course. My apologies.