get-them-all-no-matter-what setting for subtitles?

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
markfilipak
Bright Spark User

Re: get-them-all-no-matter-what setting for subtitles?

Post by markfilipak »

rollin_eng wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:43 am While HB uses ffmpeg libraries it is not just a front end for ffmpeg. This means not all options from ffmpeg are available/compatible with HB.
Heck, I know that. Are you responding to this: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=40083&p=189957#p189957? If so, would you kindly do so in that thread, not in this one. I want to keep them separate, okay?

I think you misunderstand, and that's okay because I'm on a complex mission with a lot of moving parts. But, because you're such a cheerful helper, I'll give you an answer here.

HB wouldn't do anything with ffmpeg. It would simply submit a fixed command to the OS shell, then wait for a fixed file to be created, then spin on that file until it closes, then open the file and merge it with the rest of the streams. What could be simpler? The command could be anything, not just ffmpeg.
If you look at eac3to options it will tell you haw to export subs.
Yeah, I pulled my head out of the shade and submitted 'eac3to D: -demux' and a bunch of stream files were created. It couldn't be easier. But they were solely for the feature film, not any special features. That still leaves me with the problem of linking 'M2TS's to titles.
I suggested Ribot264 as it seems more suited to your situation as it is a front end to ffmpeg so you might be able to implement your ffmpeg commands within it.
You probably see now why that's unnecessary.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Again HB is not a muxer, it cannot take a bunch of streams and mux them together. It never has and judging what the devs say it never will.
markfilipak
Bright Spark User

Post by markfilipak »

rollin_eng wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:56 pm Again HB is not a muxer, it cannot take a bunch of streams and mux them together. It never has and judging what the devs say it never will.
Hahaha... If HB doesn't mux, then how does it create output? How does it transcode from XXX/<MPEG-ES> to YYY/MKV or YYY/MP4 or ...?

Edit: It's just a matter of taking streams from 2 files instead of 1 file.
Last edited by markfilipak on Mon May 04, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Of course HB CAN mux, but it is not a muxer.

HB is a video encoder, if you are not encoding video with it you probably shouldn’t be using it.
markfilipak
Bright Spark User

Post by markfilipak »

rollin_eng wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:04 pm Of course HB CAN mux, but it is not a muxer.
Well, it should be, for example, when a user doesn't want to transcode the video.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Source code is there, go for it.
markfilipak
Bright Spark User

Post by markfilipak »

rollin_eng wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:09 pm Source code is there, go for it.
Aw, come on. I'm not a 'C' programmer.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Pay someone to do it.
markfilipak
Bright Spark User

Post by markfilipak »

rollin_eng wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:14 pm Pay someone to do it.
Sure.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

markfilipak wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:26 pm
rollin_eng wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:25 pm Can you not create a mkv from mkvmerge with just the subtitles and chapters in?
Nope.
I just tried this and it is certainly possible.
markfilipak
Bright Spark User

Post by markfilipak »

rollin_eng wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:49 pm
rollin_eng wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:25 pm Can you not create a mkv from mkvmerge with just the subtitles and chapters in?
Nope.
What was your command line?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

markfilipak wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:36 pm
Nope.
You first :)
markfilipak
Bright Spark User

Post by markfilipak »

rollin_eng wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:48 pm
markfilipak wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:36 pm
Nope.
You first :)
Me first? My command? "Roll over."

Okay, seriously: mkvmerge --default-duration 0:24000/1001fps -o "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.1-mkvmerge.MKV" "%SRCDRV%:%SRCPATH%\%SRCNAME%.%SRCEXT%" 1>"%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.1-mkvmerge.LOG"
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Yes, your command that you ran, you have to work for this.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

So have you tried muxing JUST the subs and chapters?
markfilipak
Bright Spark User

Post by markfilipak »

rollin_eng wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:57 pm So have you tried muxing JUST the subs and chapters?
Muxing? Or demuxing?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Both.
markfilipak
Bright Spark User

Post by markfilipak »

Well, first I run mkvmerge to get the original video & audio & subs. mkvmerge apparently can't get chapters.
Last I run mkvmerge to merge 55-telecine video from ffmpeg + audio-subs-chaps from handbrakecli.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Sorry, you are correct, I already had everything demuxed.

Solution just demux chapters using eac3to or mkvextract, then mux in using mkvmerge.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

In fact your workflow could be:

Extract everything with mkvextract/eac3to.
Encode video with ffmpeg, are timestamp issues in container or video stream?
Remux what you want with mkvmerge.
markfilipak
Bright Spark User

Post by markfilipak »

rollin_eng wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:56 pm In fact your workflow could be:

Extract everything with mkvextract/eac3to.
mkvextract will not extract chapters. eac3to extracts solely the main feature (longest?) unless I supply a title #. In a script, supplying title #s is problematic.
Encode video with ffmpeg, are timestamp issues in container or video stream?
The problems with ffmpeg are probably in elemental stream PTSs and/or DTSs, when an 'interleave' filter is used, but only when subtiltles are not suppressed via the '-sn' directive. After a big hassle, the ffmpeg developers have now accepted a bug report on it.
Remux what you want with mkvmerge.
Before I do that, I want to get the chapters. ffmpeg won't do that. mkvmerge won't do that. eac3to will do that, but only for the main feature.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Try mkvextract to get chapters then.
markfilipak
Bright Spark User

Post by markfilipak »

rollin_eng wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:15 pm Try mkvextract to get chapters then.
mkvextract apparently only accepts MKV containers, not M2TSs and not VOBs.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Ok, so you are still watching every m2ts/vob to see what they are?

That will be your problem then, you need to find a way to open the root folder or use makemkv to rip your disc.
markfilipak
Bright Spark User

Post by markfilipak »

rollin_eng wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:41 pm Ok, so you are still watching every m2ts/vob to see what they are?
Yes.
That will be your problem then, you need to find a way to open the root folder or use makemkv to rip your disc.
I will try 'eac3to D: -demux' again. I will also try makemkv, though I've already ripped to ISO.

I've included the script below so you see that I'm not a complete novice. I put it in the 'Send To' context menu and simply select an 'M2TS' or any 'VOB' and invoke 'Sent To'. I currently call it 'test.cmd'. You might give it a try. I'd appreciate your comments. BTW, I haven't fleshed out Step 4 yet.

Thanks for your continued help.

Code: Select all

: Synopsis: Converts almost any type of 24 FPS video file (e.g., 'D:\BDMV\STREAM\00001.M2TS') -- input via %1 -- and outputs a 60 FPS MKV (e.g., '[D][BDMV][STREAM]00001.nn.MKV').
: Author: Mark Filipak.
: Rights: None. "I place this script into the Public Domain." -- Mark Filipak (May, 2020). Contact: markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg @@@@@ gmail.com
:
: Accepts %1 as 24FPS Blu-ray or soft-telecined DVD input video, fixes any time stamp problems (Step 1), 55-telecines to 60FPS (Step 2), extracts subtitles & chapters (Step 3), and merges the result (Step 4).
: Output videos & logs are saved with unique names at each step.
:
: Why 55-telecine? Because 55-telecined videos play on 60Hz TVs with less (almost imperceptible) telecine judder.
: Note: If you have a 120Hz TV, you don't need this because 120Hz TVs play 24 FPS videos without telecine, and therefore without judder.
:
: Uses: mkvmerge, ffmpeg, and HandBrakeCLI.
:
: Global environmental variables:
:   PATH         - The PATH must include the full paths to mkvmerge, ffmpeg, and HandBrakeCLI.
:   AVOut        - Full path (without trailing '\') to receive outputs.
: Local environmental variables:
:   SRCDRV       - Drive (without ':') of the source video (extracted from %1).
:   SRCPATH      - Path (without trailing '\') to the source video (extracted from %1) (e.g., '\BDMV\STREAM', '\VIDEO_TS').
:   SRCNAME      - Name (without trailing '.') of the source video (extracted from %1) (e.g., '00000' in 'D:\BDMV\STREAM\00000.m2ts', 'VTS_01_1' in 'D:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB').
:   SRCEXT       - Name-extension (without leading '.') of the source video (extracted from %1) (e.g., 'm2ts' in 'D:\BDMV\STREAM\00000.m2ts', 'VOB' in 'D:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB').
:   OUTNAME      - Base name of outputs. If the input filespec is 'D:\BDMV\STREAM\00001.M2TS' the output name is '[D][BDMV][STREAM]00001.nn.MKV' where 'nn' is a 2-digit number (see OUTINDEX).
:   OUTINDEX     - Two digits (without leading '.') appended (with leading '.') to %SRCNAME% to form distinctive output names (e.g., '05' in '[D][BDMV][STREAM]00000.05.MKV', '13' in '[D][VIDEO_TS]VTS_01_1.13.MKV').
:   FFSCOPE      - The ffmpeg scope diagnostic.
:   FFTRIM       - The ffmpeg directive to trim the beginning of the video.
:   FFANALYZE    - The ffmpeg directive for extended video stream analysis.
:   FFCFRAMES    - The ffmpeg filter setting for detection of combed frames.
:   FFTELECINE   - The ffmpeg filter setting for 55-telecine.
:   FFPSELECT    - The ffmpeg filter setting for selection of progressive frames.
:   FFCSELECT    - The ffmpeg filter setting for selection of combed frames.
:   FFINTERLEAVE - The ffmpeg filter setting for interleaving of progressive & combed frames.
:   FFENCODE     - The ffmpeg directives that control encoding.
:   FFCMD        - The ffmpeg command line that combines all of the above FF-settings.
: Tempoarary environmental variables:
:   MOREOUTNAME  - This is initialized to SRCPATH, then it is gobbled up during OUTNAME formation.
:
@ECHO OFF
SETLOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION
IF "%AVOut:~-1%"=="\" SET %AVOut%=%AVOut:~0,-1%
IF EXIST "%AVOut%" GOTO CONTINUE1
ECHO Please create an environment variable named "AVOut" that specifies a folder to receive output videos.
PAUSE
EXIT
:CONTINUE1
IF EXIST %1 GOTO CONTINUE2
ECHO Source video %1 was not found.
PAUSE
EXIT
:CONTINUE2
FOR %%X IN (%1) DO (
  SET SRCDRV=%%~dX
  SET SRCPATH=%%~pX
  SET SRCNAME=%%~nX
  SET SRCEXT=%%~xX
)
SET SRCDRV=%SRCDRV:~0,1%
SET SRCPATH=%SRCPATH:~0,-1%
SET SRCEXT=%SRCEXT:~1%
FOR %%X IN (%1) DO IF "%%~xX"==".VOB" (
  : determine %%V in 'VTS_%%V_%%W.VOB' for %%V = 99 to 01 and %%W = 9 to 1, then set VTS ID to it
  FOR /L %%V IN (99,-1,10) DO FOR /L %%W IN (9,-1,1) DO IF %1=="%SRCDRV%:%SRCPATH%\VTS_%%V_%%W.VOB"  SET SRCNAME=VTS_%%V_1
  FOR /L %%V IN  (9,-1,1)  DO FOR /L %%W IN (9,-1,1) DO IF %1=="%SRCDRV%:%SRCPATH%\VTS_0%%V_%%W.VOB" SET SRCNAME=VTS_0%%V_1
)
SET OUTNAME=[%SRCDRV%]
SET MOREOUTNAME=%SRCPATH%
:LOOP1
  FOR %%X IN ("%MOREOUTNAME%") DO SET OUTNAME=%OUTNAME:~0,3%[%%~nX]%OUTNAME:~3%
  :LOOP2
    IF NOT "%MOREOUTNAME:~-1%"=="\" SET MOREOUTNAME=%MOREOUTNAME:~0,-1%
    IF NOT "%MOREOUTNAME:~-1%"=="\" GOTO LOOP2
  SET MOREOUTNAME=%MOREOUTNAME:~0,-1%
  IF NOT "%MOREOUTNAME%"=="" GOTO LOOP1
SET OUTNAME=%OUTNAME%%SRCNAME%
FOR /L %%I IN (99,-1,10) DO IF NOT EXIST "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.%%I.1-mkvmerge.MKV" IF NOT EXIST "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.%%I.1-mkvmerge.LOG" IF NOT EXIST "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.%%I.2-ffmpeg.MKV" IF NOT EXIST "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.%%I.2-ffmpeg.LOG" IF NOT EXIST "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.%%I.3-handbrake.MKV" IF NOT EXIST "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.%%I.3-handbrake.LOG" IF NOT EXIST "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.%%I.LOG" IF NOT EXIST "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.%%I.MKV" SET OUTINDEX=%%I
FOR /L %%I IN (9,-1,1) DO IF NOT EXIST "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.0%%I.1-mkvmerge.MKV" IF NOT EXIST "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.0%%I.1-mkvmerge.LOG" IF NOT EXIST "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.0%%I.2-ffmpeg.MKV" IF NOT EXIST "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.0%%I.2-ffmpeg.LOG" IF NOT EXIST "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.0%%I.3-handbrake.MKV" IF NOT EXIST "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.0%%I.3-handbrake.LOG" IF NOT EXIST "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.0%%I.LOG" IF NOT EXIST "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.0%%I.MKV" SET OUTINDEX=0%%I
SET OUTNAME=%OUTNAME%.%OUTINDEX%

SET FFCFRAMES=eq(mod((n+1)\,5)\,3)
SET FFSCOPE=datascope=size=1920x1080:x=45:y=340:mode=color2
                  SET FFREPORT=file=%OUTNAME%.2-ffmpeg.LOG:level=48
                  SET FFREPORT=file=%OUTNAME%.2-ffmpeg.LOG:level=32
                  :
                         SET FFTRIM=-ss 0:00
                  :      :
                                  SET FFANALYZE=-analyzeduration 5000000000 -probesize 5000000000
                  :      :        :
                                                                                                     SET FFTELECINE=telecine=pattern=5,split[A][B]
                  :      :        :                                                                  :
                                                                                                                  SET FFPSELECT=[A]select='not(%FFCFRAMES%)'[C]
                  :      :        :                                                                  :            :
                                                                                                                              SET FFCSELECT=[B]select='%FFCFRAMES%',pp=linblenddeint[D]
                  :      :        :                                                                  :            :           :
                                                                                                                                          SET FFINTERLEAVE=[C][D]interleave
                  :      :        :                                                                  :            :           :           :
                                                                                                                                                          SET FFENCODE=-map 0 -codec:v libx264 -crf 18 -an -sn -dn
                                                                                                                                                          SET FFENCODE=-map 0 -codec:v libx264 -crf 18 -codec:a copy -sn -dn
                  :      :        :                                                                  :            :           :           :               :
SET FFCMD=ffmpeg -report %FFTRIM% %FFANALYZE% -i "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.1-mkvmerge.MKV" -filter_complex "%FFTELECINE%,%FFPSELECT%,%FFCSELECT%,%FFINTERLEAVE%" %FFENCODE% "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.2-ffmpeg.MKV"

ECHO Step 1: Fix any time stamp problems
ECHO Step 1: mkvmerge --default-duration 0:24000/1001fps -o "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.1-mkvmerge.MKV" "%SRCDRV%:%SRCPATH%\%SRCNAME%.%SRCEXT%" 1^>"%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.1-mkvmerge.LOG"
ECHO.
ECHO Step 2: 55-telecine
ECHO Step 2: Report to %FFREPORT%
ECHO Step 2: %FFCMD%
ECHO.
ECHO Step 3: Extract subtitles ^& chapters
ECHO Step 3: HandBrakeCLI --preset-import-gui "C:\CMD & tiny apps\HandBrakeCLI\p24-subs-&-chaps.json" -i "%SRCDRV%:%SRCPATH%\%SRCNAME%.%SRCEXT%" -o "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.3-handbrake.MKV" 2^>"%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.3-handbrake.LOG"
ECHO.
ECHO Step 4: Merge all
ECHO Step 4: mkvmerge -o "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.MKV" 1^>"%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.LOG"
ECHO.
PAUSE

: Step 1: Fix any time stamp problems
: Input: "%SRCDRV%:%SRCPATH%\%SRCNAME%.%SRCEXT%"
: Output: "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.1-mkvmerge.MKV"
ECHO Please wait while mkvmerge prepares the job...
mkvmerge --default-duration 0:24000/1001fps -o "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.1-mkvmerge.MKV" "%SRCDRV%:%SRCPATH%\%SRCNAME%.%SRCEXT%" 1>"%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.1-mkvmerge.LOG"
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 EXIT

: Step 2: 55-telecine
: Inputs: "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.1-mkvmerge.MKV"
: Output: "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.2-ffmpeg.MKV"
ECHO Beginning ffmpeg processing...
%FFCMD%
MOVE "%OUTNAME%.2-ffmpeg.LOG" "%AVOut%\"
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 EXIT

: Step 3: Extract subtitles & chapters
: Input: "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.1-mkvmerge.MKV"
: Output: "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.3-handbrake.MKV"
ECHO Beginning HandBrakeCLI processing...
HandBrakeCLI --preset-import-gui --preset="p24-subs-&-chaps" --input "%SRCDRV%:%SRCPATH%\%SRCNAME%.%SRCEXT%" --output "%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.3-handbrake.MKV" 2>"%AVOut%\%OUTNAME%.3-handbrake.LOG"

exit
Here's 'p24-subs-&-chaps.json'

Code: Select all

{
  "PresetList": [
    {
      "AlignAVStart": false,
      "AudioCopyMask": [
        "copy:aac",
        "copy:ac3",
        "copy:dtshd",
        "copy:dts",