Different output size Windows vs. Mac Version

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
skytiger

Different output size Windows vs. Mac Version

Post by skytiger »

Description of problem or question:
Why am I getting double the output file size on the Mac version vs. the Windows version of the software? I'm using the exact same input file with the exact same conversion settings.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
1.3.1 (2020010400)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10 latest, MacOS latest

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)
https://pastebin.com/43hNjc7G

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Different output size Windows vs. Mac Version

Post by Woodstock »

And we need the Mac encode log to see what you told it to do.
[04:46:36] base preset: Super HQ 576p25 Surround (Modified)
Modifications change how the program acts.
skytiger

Post by skytiger »

I was looking more for a general answer re if and under which circumstances the Mac version encodes differently as opposed to the Windows version.

The activity log uploaded is only that of the Windows machine and there’s a lot of stuff from other conversions in there. Not sure if that’s going to help at all to answer my question.

Or paraphrased: Should the converted files be identical Mac vs. Windows or a differences to be expected?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

They should be the same.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

If given IDENTICAL settings, they should be within a small margin of the same size.

But subtle changes can make a LARGE difference in size. Example: the method of removing interlace, especially when using placebo encoder settings like you did, will have a large effect.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

skytiger wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:35 pm I was looking more for a general answer re if and under which circumstances the Mac version encodes differently as opposed to the Windows version.
"Why am I getting double the output file size on the Mac version vs. the Windows version of the software?"

Strange way of phrasing that!