Same preset, different size in versions 0.10, 1.3.1

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
pwaszkewitz
New User

Same preset, different size in versions 0.10, 1.3.1

Post by pwaszkewitz »

Description of problem or question:

This is not - yet - a request for support, hence no activity log, but just a question whether the observed behaviour is known to someone and explainable. If it turns out to be necessary or helpful, I will provide the logs and settings.

I have been using a preset for compressing ripped DVDs based on advice found in various places; it has served me very well for years with HandBrake 0.10.0.6534.
I tried out 1.0.7 (on Windows) but it tended to not completing the queues fairly often, so I stuck with 0.10.
Now I decided to give 1.3.1 a try. I had to recreate the preset manually as the import from the plist file changed some settings (the Anamorphic setting and the H264 encoder settings )

Then I noticed two things:
  • Files were getting about 36% larger with 1.3.1 than with 0.10.0.6534; I did not notice a visible difference in quality, but this was an admittedly perfunctory comparison.
  • I have some DVD rips where 0.10 produces incomplete output, sometimes actually producing a disc error (on a removable drive), whereas 1.3.1 also sometimes fails, but less often and with a warning symbol instead of a silent error.
Are these effects known and possibly steps to remedy them?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

Basically see above

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
  • 0.10.0.6534, 32-bit
  • 1.3.1, 64-bit
Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10 1909

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Same preset, different size in versions 0.10, 1.3.1

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs from both versions, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

In addition to possible changes in your settings that you missed, some defaults have changed.
pwaszkewitz wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:18 amIf it turns out to be necessary or helpful, I will provide the logs and settings.
We should add some bold red text on a pink background to let people know about that. Maybe even link to an explanation of why.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

You want the 2020 version to work the same as the 2014 version?