Build from Source - Manjaro for ARM (Raspberry Pi 3b and PBP Pro)

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
tpersons

Build from Source - Manjaro for ARM (Raspberry Pi 3b and PBP Pro)

Post by tpersons »

Description of problem or question:

I am having some fatal errors when I try to compile HandBrake 1.3.1 from git on my Pinebook Pro Manjaro (which is aarch64 based). I keep getting errors of what I believe are .git errors on FFmpeg, but I am not experienced enough to figure out what I am missing here? Thanks for you help.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

I have installed all the dependencies from https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/dev ... -arch.html (with the exception of the Intel Quick Sync).

git clone https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake.git && cd HandBrake
./configure --launch-jobs=$(nproc) --launch --disable-gtk (just trying to narrow down the problem and not build the GUI yet)

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

1.3.1 from git

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Manjaro for ARM 20.02

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

https://pastebin.com/KKDCC7rD
Deleted User 11865

Re: Build from Source - Manjaro for ARM (Raspberry Pi 3b and PBP Pro)

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Code: Select all

ERROR: nvenc requested, but not all dependencies are satisfied: ffnvcodec
Try building with --disable-nvenc
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

But, I'm not sure other components won't break on ARM.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

While it's technically possible to compile on ARM, it does require disabling incompatible features, including x265.

Also note, we don't formally support ARM as a platform yet. It's something that's likely coming but the current versions do not formally support it.

Finally, having spent the time to get this working myself, it's painfully slow. Especially so on something like a Rockchip RK3399 chip that your device has.
tpersons

Post by tpersons »

Thanks to you both, it built, installed and runs (haven't tried to use it yet). The necessary flags were --disable-nvenc and --disable-x265, but everything installed correctly per the arch Linux instructions. This project wasn't really a question of "is this a good idea" but more of a "can I make this work" kind of thing. On my Ubuntu install, it takes about 40 minutes per encode, I am interested to run the same job on both the PBP and the desktop to see the difference.