Convert 4K HLG -> HDR?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
mensa

Convert 4K HLG -> HDR?

Post by mensa »

Hello,

I have a recording of a TV life show (.ts) which is in 4K HLG. Is it possible to convert this into 4K HDR using HandBrake?
Until yet, I did not find any settings for that. Could you please help me?

Or if it is not possible, could you please tell me any other tool which can do this?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Convert 4K HLG -> HDR?

Post by Woodstock »

Handbrake does not currently handle 10-bit HDR as an output, so the short answer is "no".
mensa

Post by mensa »

Thank you, in the meantime I found x265-10Bit. Isn't it that?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

That will output a file with 10-bit color, but only 8-bit passes through handbrake's pipeline (i.e., the filters). A 10-bit color source will be converted to 8-bit color, then the output can be taken back to 10- or 12-bit, but it is NOT going to be HDR.
mensa

Post by mensa »

Thank you, then I will try to convert my 4K .ts HLG recorded file into best possible format for Apple TV (Infuse app for movie playback). So which settings should I use then you think?
And which settings are also very good 4K but would nit take days to convert on an i7?
jbjoret
Enlightened

Post by jbjoret »

I have been using this receipe viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39398 and according to mediainfo, my converted files are 10 Bits HDR.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

To quote one of the developers, who write and understand the program...
Rodeo wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:19 am HandBrake cannot handle HDR content. It cannot pass the HDR metadata through, so the results will have incorrect, probably "washed-out" colors.