Handbrake Crashing My Computer

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Studentity

Handbrake Crashing My Computer

Post by Studentity »

[url][/url]Description of problem or question:

Hi All.I have Handbrake(1.3.1) installed on my computer running Win 10 which was running smoothly until recently when it started crashing my computer while trying to convert files to mp4.What i mean is it completely shuts down my computer.when i restart and go into Handbrake it asks to save the project which obviously is not a runner.This problem can occur anywhere between ten(10) and thirty(30) mins.I am including the activity log as per requirement and hopefully you can identify the problem for me.
Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.3.1):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

https://pastebin.com/ONEBjiWg

Studentity

Re: Handbrake Crashing My Computer

Post by Studentity »

Sorry guys i may have to scrap that link it seems to be not working.....can you tell what i did wrong please so i can correct it.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Generally a hardware problem... cooling, power delivery, etc.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

It can also be a driver bug, although when it's a driver issue it usually crashes at about the same point every time during the encode.
Studentity

Post by Studentity »

Thank you very much for your speedy replies I appreciate them.Is there any way to sort the problem if that's not too simplistic a statement.By the way did the log link crash.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Quickest way is to install a CPU temperature monitor. There are many around for whatever operating system you want. I use "Core Temp" on my Windows machines.

If, during the encode, the reported temperature continues to climb above 70C, your CPU cooling isn't adequate. Most motherboards are set to shut off the power above 75C (factory settings, you can adjust them), but proper cooling should keep the CPU below 70C at 100% CPU, not overclocked. If you overclock, you need even better cooling.

Check for dust-clogged CPU cooler fins.
Studentity

Post by Studentity »

Thank you Woodstock for your reply.I find it potentially very helpful.I suspect you are spot on about the cooling part as the fan seems to be working overtime while processing certain programs.I will give a peek under the hood to check the fan etc and post back.Many thanks again i really appreciate it.
Studentity

Post by Studentity »

Hi my apologies for the long delay.With reference to your post Woodstock i appreciate your advice. The problem i have is i looked at the underside of my laptop and balked at the number of screws and abandoned it.Going back to my problem i feel it is my cooling system as i mentioned previously.I may have to try for something lighter on my processor (apologies).Once again thanks so very much for your help.I will not hesitate to contact if i need further advice.Good luck and stay safe.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Studentity wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:12 am The problem i have is i looked at the underside of my laptop ...
Relevant information. Laptop cooling is rarely adequate for operating at 100% for prolonged periods of time. The target audience for most laptop sales is people who occasionally need to run peak processor speed for more than a minute or two, then back to near-idle speed for a while.

There are exceptions, the so-called "gamer laptops", but they also suck the battery dry so fast that the bottom of the laptop becomes concave... :)

Most will slow the CPU as the temps climb; They are not supposed to go until the over-temp sensor on the motherboard kicks in. The "Core Temp" utility I mentioned can flag you when the temp climbs above a selected value.