Forced Subtitles Not Working

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
jules1955

Forced Subtitles Not Working

Post by jules1955 »

Can someone please help me with the “Subtitles” configuration so I can rip my DVD so it will include the “Forced Subtitle” (i.e. DVD is in English and I only want Subtitles for the foreign parts only).

Here is what I’ve tried so far with NO success:
”Forced Audio Search” subtitle track with the “Forced Only” box checked.
Changed “Forced Audio Search” to “English” with the Forced and Burned In checkboxes selected

Why are these options not working? What am I missing?

Thanks for any help

HandBrake version 1.3.1:

Windows 10 64-bit
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Forced Subtitles Not Working

Post by Woodstock »

Probably because the DVD doesn't have a track that matches the criteria. The required logs would tell us that for sure.

Subtitles rarely work the way people think they should; 99% of what I buy involves subtitles at some level.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
jules1955

Post by jules1955 »

Woodstock wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:40 pm Probably because the DVD doesn't have a track that matches the criteria. The required logs would tell us that for sure.

Subtitles rarely work the way people think they should; 99% of what I buy involves subtitles at some level.
Thank you for your response. This "Foreign Parts Only Subtitles" is new to me, so I would appreciate any guidance you could offer.

Here is the Activity Log: https://pastebin.com/HyfV72Zg

Let me know if you need any additional information.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

There are not many subtitles that meet the criteria for FAS:
[17:59:06] Subtitle track 0 (id 0x20bd) 'English Closed Caption (Wide Screen) [VOBSUB]': 1907 hits (0 forced)
[17:59:06] Subtitle track 1 (id 0x21bd) 'English Closed Caption (Letterbox) [VOBSUB]': 1907 hits (0 forced)
[17:59:06] Subtitle track 6 (id 0x26bd) 'English (Wide Screen) [VOBSUB]': 8 hits (6 forced)
[17:59:06] Subtitle track 7 (id 0x27bd) 'English (Letterbox) [VOBSUB]': 8 hits (6 forced)
[17:59:06] Found a subtitle candidate with id 0x26bd (contains forced subs)
FAS looks for either subtitles that are flagged as "forced", or a subtitle track that contains 10% or fewer subtitles than a "full" subtitle track for the selected language.

In the case of this DVD, the choices are all "full" tracks, just different circumstances (letterbox or not, Closed Caption or not), and they all contain about the same number of subtitles. There are, unusually, 6 forced subtitles in two of the tracks.

So handbrake is inserting 6 subtitles (total) in the video, but they might not be where you expect them.
jules1955

Post by jules1955 »

Woodstock wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:38 pm There are not many subtitles that meet the criteria for FAS:
[17:59:06] Subtitle track 0 (id 0x20bd) 'English Closed Caption (Wide Screen) [VOBSUB]': 1907 hits (0 forced)
[17:59:06] Subtitle track 1 (id 0x21bd) 'English Closed Caption (Letterbox) [VOBSUB]': 1907 hits (0 forced)
[17:59:06] Subtitle track 6 (id 0x26bd) 'English (Wide Screen) [VOBSUB]': 8 hits (6 forced)
[17:59:06] Subtitle track 7 (id 0x27bd) 'English (Letterbox) [VOBSUB]': 8 hits (6 forced)
[17:59:06] Found a subtitle candidate with id 0x26bd (contains forced subs)
FAS looks for either subtitles that are flagged as "forced", or a subtitle track that contains 10% or fewer subtitles than a "full" subtitle track for the selected language.

In the case of this DVD, the choices are all "full" tracks, just different circumstances (letterbox or not, Closed Caption or not), and they all contain about the same number of subtitles. There are, unusually, 6 forced subtitles in two of the tracks.

So handbrake is inserting 6 subtitles (total) in the video, but they might not be where you expect them.
Just wanted to let you and others know that I have it working now. Once I added the "libdvdcss-2.dll" to the Handbrake app directory, the Forced Subtitles started working. You can find and download this ".dll" from here: https://github.com/allienx/libdvdcss-dll

Hope this helps others.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Note that using libdvdcss to make handbrake "CSS-capable" is unsupported, and has been for over a decade. It is not a complete solution for removing copy protection from DVDs, and does nothing for other sources, so you're on your own when using it.
jules1955

Post by jules1955 »

Woodstock wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:29 am Note that using libdvdcss to make handbrake "CSS-capable" is unsupported, and has been for over a decade. It is not a complete solution for removing copy protection from DVDs, and does nothing for other sources, so you're on your own when using it.
What is the supported or recommended solution for removing copy protection from the DVDs that we own prior to ripping with Handbrake?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

There are several ripping software packages out there. I use MakeMKV, which you can use for free during its (ongoing for over a decade so far) beta period. Others use AnyDVD, but those are not the only ones available.

The authors of those programs make it their JOB to try to keep up with the copy protection BS, so they can handle things like ever-changing AACS encryption versions on BD and UHD. I know that the author of MakeMKV spent a GREAT deal of time working on ways to update drive firmware to be able to ignore hardware-enforced copy protection, such as region coding.

All of that time would be taken away from making handbrake better, if the handbrake team were forced to fight that war. So they don't.
jules1955

Post by jules1955 »

Woodstock wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:01 pm There are several ripping software packages out there. I use MakeMKV, which you can use for free during its (ongoing for over a decade so far) beta period. Others use AnyDVD, but those are not the only ones available.

The authors of those programs make it their JOB to try to keep up with the copy protection BS, so they can handle things like ever-changing AACS encryption versions on BD and UHD. I know that the author of MakeMKV spent a GREAT deal of time working on ways to update drive firmware to be able to ignore hardware-enforced copy protection, such as region coding.

All of that time would be taken away from making handbrake better, if the handbrake team were forced to fight that war. So they don't.
Woodstock, thank you for your patience and detailed support. Now, I finally have my "Foreign Parts Only" Subtitles working correctly using MakeMKV and Handbrake. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

You are welcome.