Unexpected cropping of video

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
nitro322

Unexpected cropping of video

Post by nitro322 »

Description of problem or question:
I'm transcoding a 720x480p MKV video extracted from a blu-ray by MakeMKV. Despite instructing handbrake to not crop the video, it's cropping the lower portion of the video. I've tried both ghb and HandbrakeCLI, tried loose and strict animorphic settings, actually tried cropping the video a small amount (18:26:0:0), but in every case it cropped the bottom part of the video (much more than the 26 pixels in that last example).

I've never run into this problem in the literally hundreds of other videos I've transcoded at this point. How can I force Handbrake to not crop the video?

Note: I'm not sure why, but phpbb isn't displaying the embedded images. Including the raw URLs as well.

Here's a screenshot of the original video:
URL: https://www.legroom.net/public/vid-original.jpg

Here's a screenshot of the cropped video after transcoding with handbrake:
URL: https://www.legroom.net/public/vid-cropped.jpg

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
I'm using these settings in ghb:
URL: https://www.legroom.net/public/vid-cropped.jpg

I've also tried these options with HandbrakeCLI (relevant settings bolded):

HandBrakeCLI --input "STAR WARS CLONE WARS/bonus/720/01-A Creative Conversation.mkv" --output "01-A Creative Conversation.mkv" --title 1 --angle 1 --format mkv --encoder x265 --maxWidth 1280 --maxHeight 720 --crop 0:0:0:0 --previews 1:0 --loose-anamorphic --keep-display-aspect --modulus 16 --quality 20 --vfr --audio 1 --aencoder copy --audio-copy-mask ac3,dtshd,dts --mixdown none --arate auto --ab 0 --drc 0 --gain 0 --aname 2.0 AC3 --audio-fallback ac3 --subtitle 1 --native-language eng --markers=marker_names.txt --encoder-preset slow --nlmeans=ultralight --encoder-level 5.0 --encoder-profile main --verbose 0

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Gentoo amd64 17.1

HandBrake Activity Log ***required***
https://www.legroom.net/public/vid-handbrake.log

Please note: I killed handbrake after verifying that it was again going to produce a video with the inappropriate cropping. I didn't think to keep a video log from the last full encode I've done (have already tried 3 full encodes with different settings and the same results), and didn't want to another couple hours before submitting this report. If you really need the full log, let me know and I'll do yet another full encode and upload that as well.

And thanks. I know this is an odd problem, and appreciate any guidance. Hopefully I'm just doing something dumb that's easily correctable.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Unexpected cropping of video

Post by mduell »

Google is flagging your site for malware.

The log has multiple encodes and none of them show more cropping than requested.

Also your HB install is a year old and an unsupported version.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

[00:18:10] + storage dimensions: 720 x 480
[00:18:10] + pixel aspect ratio: 40 : 33
[00:18:10] + display dimensions: 872 x 480
When you play this video in a 720x480 window, the player will scale it to fit. What happens if you expand the player window so that it can display it completely?
nitro322

Post by nitro322 »

mduell wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:34 pmGoogle is flagging your site for malware.
That's because Google's they're flagging a legitimate executable hosted on my site as malware, and despite informing them of the false positives multiples times since December, they refuse to do anything about it or even acknowledge my requests.
mduell wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:34 pmThe log has multiple encodes and none of them show more cropping than requested.

Also your HB install is a year old and an unsupported version.
Okay. Clearly something is not working as intended. I don't know what to say about the log not showing the problem.

I didn't realize a newer version has been released, I'm just using the version in my repo. Will upgrade to the latest version and see if that helps. Thank you for the heads up.
nitro322

Post by nitro322 »

Woodstock wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:07 pmWhen you play this video in a 720x480 window, the player will scale it to fit. What happens if you expand the player window so that it can display it completely?
I've tried that. The bottom portion of the video is just missing, regardless how of I try resizing the window. Very odd.

As mduell pointed out, though, I'm using an older version. I'll see how it behaves with the latest and report back.
nitro322

Post by nitro322 »

Unfortunately, I still get the same results, even with the later versions. I tried upgrading to 1.3.0 (which is in my distro's repo), and then tried installing the 1.3.1 CLI flatpak - same results from both.

Here's the output from the 1.3.1 CLI, using the same parameters I pasted earlier.

Any other suggestions? If parameters and configuration I've shared look right and don't indicate that I'm doing something wrong, could there be something wrong with the source video (and if so, how I can determine that)? or am I maybe running into some obscure bug in handbrake or ffmpeg or something?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

nitro322 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:47 pm Here's the output from the 1.3.1 CLI, using the same parameters I pasted earlier.
???
nitro322

Post by nitro322 »

rollin_eng wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:54 pm???
Woops, sorry about that:
https://www.legroom.net/public/vid-handbrake-131.log
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Still nothing being cropped; most likely the issue comes from your playback device or software.
nitro322

Post by nitro322 »

Wow, so yeah, you guys are right and I stand corrected. It is a playback issue. I did consider that early on, but ruled it out because I was seeing identical behavior in both mplayer and VLC, which (as far as I'm aware) use different playback engines. However, I saw different but equally strange behavior on completely different, non-transcoded SD videos today, and again both showed the same behavior in mplayer and VLC.

After some further investigation, it turns out that video playback acceleration with my AMD GPU is somehow causing the glitches; with acceleration, I see the bad behavior in all three videos in both mplayer and VLC, without acceleration, the videos playback correctly.

Freakin' weird. I've never seen anything like that before.

Still need to figure that issue out, but can at least confirm handbrake is doing the right thing. Thanks - appreciate the pointers.