Video and Audio substantially out of sync

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Bains999

Video and Audio substantially out of sync

Post by Bains999 »

Description of problem or question:
Handbrake Version 1.3.1

Have used the .mkv and Handbrake process for well over 50 DVDs with good results.

John Wick Parabellum – newer 2019 DVD (not Blu-Ray)

Used MKV to make a .mkv file. That .mkv file plays properly using VLC Media on a windows workstation. All audio and video are synchronized as would be expected.

Used handbrake to encode .mkv file into an .mp4 file for larger screen viewing. Resultant .mp4 file has several video ‘stalled’ spots (no video movement for 45 seconds or so) and the rest has the audio trailing the video by 30 to 45 seconds or so.

Used a generic encoding profile.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10 Professional

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see [url=https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html] How-to get an activity l

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1unMM-S ... sp=sharing
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Video and Audio substantially out of sync

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Are you also using VLC to play back the mp4 file? The encode log looks clean.
Bains999

Post by Bains999 »

VLC was used to play both the .mkv and .mp4 files. Same result -- audio and video substantially out of sync for the mp4 but lined up well for the .mkv version.

Any suggestions?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Afraid not. I don't see anything out of place in the log and haven't seen any such problems myself in any mkv to mp4 encodes.
xyz962

Post by xyz962 »

Hi!

Similar problem here. I am using NVENC codecs (HEVC/x265). Audio and video totally out of synch. I was trying to change manually the Frame Rate (FPS) and any other possible options (Same as Source, Constant Frame Rate, Variable Frame Rate, etc.), without any success... Frustrating...

Best regards,
xyz962
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Please start your own topic, even if the issue sounds similar. And provide your logs please.
basic_user

Post by basic_user »

John Wick has multiple "views". Don't know if that's what they're actually called but when you view the disc in the rip menu you will see multiple full sized versions. Only one of them is a consistent audio/video sync when converted.

I had same issue, ran through multiple full angles/versions/whatever and one of them came out fine.
Bains999

Post by Bains999 »

Thank you to "basic_user" for a hint of where to proceed.

The DVD had six chapters (using MKV terms) that were all eligible -- i.e. they were each 5.7 GB in size.
Each of the chapters when viewed using VLC looked OK.
Used Handbrake to encode all of them.
Five of the six chapters had substantial video and audio out of sync issues, two had areas that 'froze' the video.

One of the chapters did encode properly.

It would be helpful to know what happened since this event may be occurring in the future with other DVD content.

I might go so far as to suggest it is an actual program bug.