Limiting CPU usage

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
JamesWilkinson

Limiting CPU usage

Post by JamesWilkinson »

Is there any way to limit CPU usage when encoding Nvidia H265? The graphics card barely raises a sweat but the CPU temperature redlines (i.e. 3 degrees from autoshutdown).
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Limiting CPU usage

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

The best practice is to fix your CPU cooling.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

mduell wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:35 pm The best practice is to fix your CPU cooling.
I agree. I have my rig transcoding for weeks at a time, and temps never gets beyond the low 50s.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

If you actually ARE using the NVidia encoder, the CPU load would be rather limited anyway. Seeing the logs would give us an indication of what is really happening.

It could be as simple as your video card is dumping its hot air on the CPU, or you're actually NOT using NVenc, in which case your CPU is still under-cooled.
JamesWilkinson

Post by JamesWilkinson »

UGH. No I'm not a moron, I've been building PC's for decades. So yes I know how to check a box. Yes I am using my graphics card. No the card isn't "blowing hot air on my CPU".

The idea of adding a water cooler, just for one program, which I occasionally use, is completely ridiculous.

The question is can you change the load balance between a very powerful GPU and a midrange CPU.

If have anything intelligent to add please do so, if not just refrain from the inane low IQ LCD responses for the sake of responding.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

You are free to ignore us, and we're free to ignore you, since you haven't taken the time to provide information that might help with your issue. You are stuck with your preconceived notion that this is a software issue, and we are stuck with our experience that excessive CPU temps are an issue caused by insufficient cooling.

If ANY program can bring your CPU to "3 degrees from autoshutdown", you have not even provided the cooling considered "adequate" by the CPU manufacturer. AMD ships CPU coolers with their chips that, at least, will allow it to run 100% continuously without exceeding thermal limits. I know; I've tested them. My preference, though, is to provide a larger cooler, because I prefer maximum temps in the 50-60C range.

I've never had to resort to liquid cooling to do that, but I have had to add case cooling to evacuate hot air. Even a small exhaust fan can reduce CPU temps 5C or more. I run encode queues that can exceed 10 days, with CPU temps reaching 54C, and CPU usage pegged at 100%. Lose a case fan (which has happened), and that temp will hit 60C.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

JamesWilkinson wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:18 amUGH. No I'm not a moron, I've been building PC's for decades. So yes I know how to check a box. Yes I am using my graphics card. No the card isn't "blowing hot air on my CPU".

The idea of adding a water cooler, just for one program, which I occasionally use, is completely ridiculous.

The question is can you change the load balance between a very powerful GPU and a midrange CPU.

If have anything intelligent to add please do so, if not just refrain from the inane low IQ LCD responses for the sake of responding.
The smart advice, as presented at the top of the page in bold underlined red text on a pink background and in some user comments, is to post your encoding log so we can see what's going on. You may be able to shift load to the GPU from the CPU, but we don't actually know what you're doing at this point; there may also be consequences to doing so in terms of capabilities or encoding efficiency we can discuss. But we have to start with the current state that you've been thus far unwilling to share.

Nobody is has suggested adding a water cooler. If your system is coming within a couple degrees of shutting down and you're concerned about that, it sounds like you have inadequate cooling for your midrange CPU. Could be something like missing or degraded thermal paste, blowing the dust out, a failed fan, etc. Could be you want to improve your cooling. Could be you should not worry about being 3 degrees away. With no details about what you're doing with HB, all we can suggest is the LCD that we've seen time and time again.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

JamesWilkinson wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:18 amThe idea of adding a water cooler, just for one program, which I occasionally use, is completely ridiculous.
I'm not using a water cooler, either.