very bad quality with the amd VCE encoder

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
seorimpaek
New User

very bad quality with the amd VCE encoder

Post by seorimpaek »

Description of problem or question:
I just tried out the amd hardware encoder with my rx580. While it was about twice as fast, it was less than half the quality. A 12 minute h.264 1080p video was reduced to 305MB, which was confusing, because the x264 software encoder produced a 190MB file. When I compared the footage, I at least expected the 305MB file to be better. But compared to the software encode, detailed textures were noticeably worse. You could see that the textures were just smushed into a uniform cake. The software encode was much better.

Am I the only one who got this kind of result? Is it AMD or handbrake at fault? And would nvenc provide better quality? It kind of sucks because I have quite a few videos to transcode.

Thank y'all for the help

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

windows 10 pro

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
Deleted User 13735

Re: very bad quality with the amd VCE encoder

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

seorimpaek wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:24 am Description of problem or question:
I just tried out the amd hardware encoder with my rx580. While it was about twice as fast, it was less than half the quality. A 12 minute h.264 1080p video was reduced to 305MB, which was confusing, because the x264 software encoder produced a 190MB file. When I compared the footage, I at least expected the 305MB file to be better. But compared to the software encode, detailed textures were noticeably worse. You could see that the textures were just smushed into a uniform cake. The software encode was much better.

Am I the only one who got this kind of result? Is it AMD or handbrake at fault? And would nvenc provide better quality? It kind of sucks because I have quite a few videos to transcode.

Thank y'all for the help
That's all correct and typical of my experience with hardware QSV encoders. If I run RF 20 on software x264, I find that CQ /RF 13-14 hardware is reasonable quality, but still not quite there.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: very bad quality with the amd VCE encoder

Post by mduell »

1) The hardware encoders are generally garbage.
2) AMDs is the worst of the hardware encoders.

VCE is fast, it's not efficient. So you're either going to end up with large files or low quality.