Audio Only Encode - Leave Video Alone

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Deleted User 699

Audio Only Encode - Leave Video Alone

Post by Deleted User 699 »

Description of problem or question:[/b]

Is there a way to encode audio only (from DTS-HD to DD5.1) and leave the video content alone, so I can end up with an MKV file with DD5.1? (For Sonos compatibility)
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Audio Only Encode - Leave Video Alone

Post by rollin_eng »

Not with HB
akyhne

Re: Audio Only Encode - Leave Video Alone

Post by akyhne »

I use eac3to. It's a command line tool and there are GUI tools that works with it, they just sucks.

I just have some batch files, named like "Batch - DTS to AC3.bat".
The code will look something like:

Code: Select all

eac3to.exe "D:\Video\Source.dts" "D:\Video\Destination.ac3"
or...

eac3to.exe "D:\Video\Source.mkv" 2: "D:\Video\Destination.ac3"
to extract the audio track (2) directly from source video, provided the audio is second stream. Use MediaInfo to tell you.
or..

eac3to.exe "D:\Video\Source.dtshd" "D:\Video\Destination.ac3" -640
to provide a new sample rate.
It's however not all cases where you can provide the video file directly, but have to extract the audio first. In that case, use a demuxer to extract the audio.

There are options you can/have to give in some cases, like down mix from 7.1 to 5.1

eac3to.exe "D:\Video\Source.dts" "D:\Video\Destination.ac3" -down6
or... extract the tracks to .wave format, so that you can use another .wave editor to create your own file formats:

eac3to.exe "D:\Video\Source.m2ts" "D:\Video\Destination.wavs"
The easiest, is to just put your batch files in the folder of eac3to, where eac3to.exe is.

Batch example:

eac3to.exe "D:\Video\Source.dtshd" "D:\Video\Destination.ac3" -down6 -640  -logdts
Creates a destination ac3 audio file (DD5.1) mixed down to 5.1 at 640Kb/s and creates a log file.
After that, use a remuxer to create a new file with audio and video. E.g. "MKVToolnix GUI" for .mkv files, "My MP4Box GUI" for .mp4.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Eac3to/How_to_Use
https://www.videohelp.com/software/eac3to