Recommended Settings for converting DVDs

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
exod

Recommended Settings for converting DVDs

Post by exod »

Description of problem or question:
So i'm attempting to convert a batch of DVDs which i have extracted to my hard drive with the VIDEO_TS folder residing on my computer. I'm starting to get ready to convert them so that i can use the individual chapters as separate files. I'm starting with the standard Fast 1080p30 setting then modifying it slightly (see Video for presets).

I've tested a few conversions and they seem to be ok.

Question:
- Is this an acceptable quality setting for playback on a 1080p TV, iPad, mobile device (plex > apple tv > 1080p tv)? (don't want a huge file with not noticeable quality)
- Should I be changing something on my presets? if so why?

thanks for the help.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
N/A

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
macOS 10.14.6

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
FeMaster

Re: Recommended Settings for converting DVDs

Post by FeMaster »

Considering that the highest resolution a DVD would have would be either 480p or 576p (depending on the DVDs region and if it's PAL or NTSC video), I wouldn't bother starting with a 1080p preset. Stick with a preset for whatever the native resolution is (in your case it looks like 480p) and then tweak from there. Selecting a 1080p preset isn't going to up convert the output of your 480p video to 1080p, so there is really no point in using it. Also, 10-bit encoding at DVD resolution is probably not going to improve the picture quality at all over just the standard 8-bit, and will most likely result in a larger file size because of it. Others may have some further advice for you, but that's my opinion on it.
exod

Post by exod »

Hmm odd i tested out the 480p preset then modified the
mp4 > output to mkv
encoder h.264 > same
audio | bit rate > 160 to 192

But the file size is larger than the 1080p preset that i shared in the video... One thing I noticed is the constant quality int he preset is higher so that might be the reason why.. right?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

With the lower resolution, you need a lower RF setting (higher quality) because it's more like quality per pixel than total quality.

HQ 480p preset is a great starting point for what you want.
exod

Post by exod »

thanks for the information. What RF do you suggest? RF 18 is what is in the preset should I go lower?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

18 is the lower limits of reasonable, so I would not suggest going any lower, but not everyone is reasonable.
exod

Post by exod »

thanks appreciate the response!