Misc Frames Randomly Occure Compressing Joined MP4ss

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
eniwetok

Misc Frames Randomly Occure Compressing Joined MP4ss

Post by eniwetok »

Description of problem or question:
I've used HB now for 10 years and never come across this problem. I use a joiner to combine mp4 video from my camera then use HB to compress them. But these last encodes have had some odd transitions between those files. File 1 will be OK, then there will be 8-9 frames from File 2, a few more frames from File 1 before it goes to File 2.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
I'm compressing files from a vacation. It so far appears random. What's new is my old joiner doesn't work well with the mp4s generated by my Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 and I started using a new joiner... https://www.mp4joiner.org/en/ which works fine since I can join numerous files at a time. Before that I was using MKV Merge which is too slow.

Thanks!

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
HandBrake 1.2.2

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Win 10 64bit.

HandBrake Activity Log ***required***

Code: Select all

https://pastebin.com/z23zKxDz
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Misc Frames Randomly Occure Compressing Joined MP4ss

Post by mduell »

That's a problem with your joiner. Especially since you say it's faster than mkvmerge, which is regarded as fast for doing it the right way, it's probably doing it the wrong way. Garbage in, garbage out.

Also the version of HB you're using it unsupported.
eniwetok

Post by eniwetok »

OK... I'm gaslighting myself. I watched one of the odd files again... and the problem wasn't there. So is it a problem with my VLC viewer?
eniwetok

Post by eniwetok »

mduell wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:07 pm That's a problem with your joiner. Especially since you say it's faster than mkvmerge, which is regarded as fast for doing it the right way, it's probably doing it the wrong way. Garbage in, garbage out.

Also the version of HB you're using it unsupported.
It's faster than MKV Merge only because it allows me to batch merge... ie select numerous files at once. MKV Merge I have to add one at a time, append, then add another... append... etc. Before I got this new camera I was using the EASYSOFT suite... which worked with my old 2004 Kodak, and my 3 Canon SureShots.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Your "joiner" sounds like it is actually cocatenating, leaving dangling GOP's and missing I-frames.
Handling and playing will be unpredictable and inconsistent.
VideoRedo will solve this. It has a free trial.