Subtitle Issue & A Few Encoding Questions

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Red-Line

Subtitle Issue & A Few Encoding Questions

Post by Red-Line »

MakeMKV 1.14.7 64-bit
Handbreak: 1.3.1 (2020010400)

HandBreak Summary
Format: MKV
Tracks: H.265 (x265), 30 FPS PFR
ACC (avcodec), stereo
Foreign Audio Scan, Burned
Chapter Markers
Filters: Decomb
Size: 1920x800 storage, 1920x800 display

BluRay PreSet Profile: Super HQ 1080p30 Surround base, with the "Constant Quality" set to 18 RF.

I am using MakeMKV to convert the entire BluRay (1080p) to mkv files. Once the process is completed, I am using Handbreak to reduce the movie file size (not keeping/reducing extras).

For video quality, these settings worked well on two test action movies. When playing from Plex to my 4K TV, the action scences were smooth.
Current test movies: 24ish GB to just under 4 GB and 27ish GB to just over 4 GB.

For streaming to TV and mobile devices, I am using Plex.

Description of problem or question:

1: I am worried about future proofing - 8K TV playback mainly. Will 30 FPS be enough or should I up the frame rate? The file size for the two test movies at the current settings were smaller than expected, and even if the current file size doubles or triples, storage space will not be an issue.

2: Audio - I would like to keep the audio tracks as close to original quality, as possible. Is the ACC (avcodec), the best option? If so, should I increase the bitrate higher than 160? For the mixdowns, do I just review the BluRay's sound specs and choose the mixdown option that matches?

note: At this time, I do not have a surround sound system for my TV, but will be purchasing one later this year. Until then, I am using the TV speakers, so unfortunately, I cannot test the sound encoding.

3: Subtitles - I am unable to get subtitles to work. I have read multiple articles and tried encoding several times. On the "Subtitles" tab, the "Source" field lists "5 Subtitle Tracks". In the "Subtitle Tracks", I select "English (PGS)" in the drop down. I have tried with forced and burn in selected and not selected and I have tried adding different titles in the name field and leaving the name field blank. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

4: I have only tested these setting on Earth based actions movies. In these movies, the night scenes appeared fine. I have several space based action and horror movies that I will convert. Are there any tips or tricks that will help make the space/dark/black backgrounds appears seamless?

Thanks in advance!!!
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Subtitle Issue & A Few Encoding Questions

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Your specific question about specific settings for a specific encode... ok I think that's enough use of the word specific to explain why this is not a general question.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Future proof: Keep the source disks in a safe place, re-rip when you have better equipment.

Or, considering that you're talking about specifications above what your source has, worry about encoding future disks IN THE FUTURE. The issue of "maximum quality" was settled when the disk was pressed and shipped. If you're REALLY concerned that you might "lose some quality", don't encode them at all; just rip the raw video off in MKV files, and make them available for playback.

Subtitles work in handbrake. Why yours aren't requires information you haven't provided yet.
Red-Line

Post by Red-Line »

rollin_eng wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:59 pm Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

Here is the log file for one of the encodings that did not contain subtitles.

https://pastebin.com/raw/Xxw74v4
Red-Line

Post by Red-Line »

Red-Line wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:07 am
rollin_eng wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:59 pm Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

Here is the log file for one of the encodings that did not contain subtitles.

https://pastebin.com/raw/Xxw74v4
Link appears not to work and I couldn't edit the above post. Here is another link.

https://pastebin.com/embed_iframe/Xxw74v4T
Red-Line

Post by Red-Line »

On a whim, I uninstalled Handbreak, download it again, and installed it. When I setup my defaults and tried another encoding, the subtitles are appear on the Summary tab, under tracks!

Hopefully, this will fix my issue. Once the encoding is finished,I will post the results.

Again, thanks for the help!!!
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

[19:29:55] * Foreign Audio Search: Render/Burn-in, Forced Only
[19:29:55] + subtitle, English [PGS] (track 0, id 0x6, Picture)

[19:31:03] Subtitle track 0 (id 0x6) 'English [PGS]': 1001 hits (0 forced)
[19:31:03] No candidate detected during subtitle scan
Foreign audio scan does not always find a viable candidate. In this case, it did not. You will have to manually select the track.
Red-Line

Post by Red-Line »

The reinstall fixed my issue. Thanks for the help.