Question about De-interlacing Filters

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Deleted User 39627

Question about De-interlacing Filters

Post by Deleted User 39627 »

Description of problem or question:

Just A Quick Question, what is the most common type of de-interlacing filter called that is very simple and only blurs the source to try to remove the interlace combing artifacts?

I'm trying to compare the most simple de-interlace filter to the much more advanced and very complex edge-directed de-interlace filters that we now have like EEDI2 which upscale the image by 2x and interpolate the missing field, thereby filling in the missing lines by preserving the edges. EEDI2 is quite an excellent and high quality filter that works very well at preserving the edges, lines and details while removing the interlacing artifacts.

Please tell the name of the most common and simple de-interlacing filter that just blurs the image itself and tell me what type of algorithm the filter uses, like Bilinear algorithm filter. The reason why I ask is I know that there's a common de-interlace filter that's very low quality, simplistic, and just blurs the image itself but doesn't really work on calculating how to adequately remove the lines themselves as the algorithmic formula is quite weak, I just don't remember what it's called. I don't know if it's the "Blend" filter that VLC uses or if I'm thinking of something else.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
N/A

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
HandBrake Version 1.3.1

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Macintosh OS X 10.13 High Sierra

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Question about De-interlacing Filters

Post by mduell »

Blend in VLC is certainly a simple option.

Depending on what you mean by some words, Discard, Bob, or even Mean could be what you're describing.
Deleted User 39627

Okay, then Blend, Discard, Bob, Mean etc apparently are filters that could be describing what I'm talking about.

Now do we know what type of algorithm Blend uses? Does it use Nearest Neighbor Interpolation or something? And do we know who create the Blend filter if it wasn't created in the software Blender?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

That's all covered in the VLC documentation and readily-available source code.
Deleted User 39627

Are you saying that most of the de-interlacing filters made by the VLC Team? I just want to confirm that since I checked the documentation.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

No, I didn't say that.
Deleted User 39627

Gotcha
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »