Is there a file/folder I can save so I can easily transfer preferences from 1 Mac to another?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
mrjayviper

Is there a file/folder I can save so I can easily transfer preferences from 1 Mac to another?

Post by mrjayviper »

as above.

I found "~/Library/Containers/fr.handbrake.HandBrake/Data/Library/Preferences/fr.handbrake.HandBrake.plist" but I'm unsure if this is the right file.

Thanks
Deleted User 11865

Re: Is there a file/folder I can save so I can easily transfer preferences from 1 Mac to another?

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

It should be the correct file, yes. Custom presets are in ~/Library/Containers/fr.handbrake.HandBrake/Data/Library/Application\ Support/HandBrake/UserPresets.json but there is already an import/export function for presets in the app.
mrjayviper

Re: Is there a file/folder I can save so I can easily transfer preferences from 1 Mac to another?

Post by mrjayviper »

Rodeo wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:36 pm It should be the correct file, yes. Custom presets are in ~/Library/Containers/fr.handbrake.HandBrake/Data/Library/Application\ Support/HandBrake/UserPresets.json but there is already an import/export function for presets in the app.
Hi Rodeo, I'm not talking about presets. But the preferences changes (Handbrake top menu then Preferences menu).
alexwilmac

Post by alexwilmac »

Rodeo wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:36 pm It should be the correct file, yes. Custom presets are in ~/Library/Containers/fr.handbrake.HandBrake/Data/Library/Application\ Support/HandBrake/UserPresets.json but there is already an import/export function for presets in the app.
I was searching the PRESETS folder too, because the Export/Import tool works only with the selected preset.
So, I simply decided to copy over the new Mac the whole folder Handbrake specified above (and containing the UserPrest.json and .plist files) located in
~/Library/Containers/fr.handbrake.HandBrake/Data/Library/Application\ Support/

This worked flawlessly.
But I don't know why everything related to presets must be so (uselessly) complicated in HB: renaming, duplicating, exporting. Something like that would be very comfortable if it was possible to customize the folder where the user wants to save them: presets are users' data, not untouchable preferences of the software: there's the user's work behind them, and time spent to tune them. I cannot spend a lot of time to find out where the software stores them and time to copy to another Mac or to reload after a new install from scratch of the O.S.
These are MY files, not software's!
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

You can export a preset folder as well, you just select the folder and choose "Export", I've used it many times successfully:

Screenshot 2020-01-06 at 17.53.34.png
Screenshot 2020-01-06 at 17.53.34.png (263.45 KiB) Viewed 369 times
Screenshot 2020-01-06 at 17.53.41.png
Screenshot 2020-01-06 at 17.53.41.png (19.31 KiB) Viewed 369 times