Optimal Encode Settings Blu Ray -> Plex

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
robertbroussard

Optimal Encode Settings Blu Ray -> Plex

Post by robertbroussard »

Although I’m a purest and normally go for the highest quality media storage possible (storing about 300 movies via MakeMKV without any re-encoding or recompression). I’m consuming disk space at an alarming rate. I have nearly 1000 movies stored on my 4 Disk QX2 (RAID-5). On some movies that are less critical I’m interested in running them through Handbrake. However, the number of HB settings are staggering and I feel like I’m painting myself into a corner. That is a bad HB setting will be baked in and will affect the media for life. It’s a lot of work to RIP these movies and capture all of the extras so I don’t ever want to too this again. Can you recommend HB settings for Blu Ray and DVD sources that does not require a NASA scientist?

Currently, Im experimenting with the following settings:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/76bnqq2hsvbpo ... 8.png?dl=0

I recently made the following changes:
-All filters set to Off for Bu Ray
-Constant Quality changed from RF 20 to RF 22
-Frame Rate changed to constant
-Encoder Tune set to “Film” (not sure what this does)
-Level changed from 4.0 to 4.1 (not sure what this does) and then back to 4.0 since one fo the test encodes was larger than expected.

The original settings seem to work pretty well but my Subtitle track was not in there since I deselected the default checkbox. How to add ST track without setting it to default? I'm still struggling with the Preset Rules for Audio and Subtitles.

Also, I’m thinking use passthrough audio (DTS HD or DTS or AC3 whatever has the highest quality) and not make a Stereo mix since my iPhone seems to play DTS HD or perhaps the Plex app is translating this on the fly. Do I need to worry about DTS HD audio not being playable?

I will have to experiment with h.265 encodes. I’m currently serving this on a 2014 Mac mini so power is limited. Later I can see a more powerful computer processing media over the LAN.

Other encoding thoughts? I would love to have a Blu Ray Custom settings that apply to most all BDs and perhaps a different one for DVDs and possibly a third for old DVDs that need to be deinterlaced.... One of the reasons I've been storing the MakeMKV output without encoding is that I'm preserving all of my options. Please help me understand HB better.

Thanks,

Rob
OliverS

Re: Optimal Encode Settings Blu Ray -> Plex

Post by OliverS »

robertbroussard wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:04 pm Although I’m a purest and normally go for the highest quality media storage possible (storing about 300 movies via MakeMKV without any re-encoding or recompression). I’m consuming disk space at an alarming rate. I have nearly 1000 movies stored on my 4 Disk QX2 (RAID-5). On some movies that are less critical I’m interested in running them through Handbrake. However, the number of HB settings are staggering and I feel like I’m painting myself into a corner. That is a bad HB setting will be baked in and will affect the media for life. It’s a lot of work to RIP these movies and capture all of the extras so I don’t ever want to too this again. Can you recommend HB settings for Blu Ray and DVD sources that does not require a NASA scientist?

Currently, Im experimenting with the following settings:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/76bnqq2hsvbpo ... 8.png?dl=0

I recently made the following changes:
-All filters set to Off for Bu Ray
-Constant Quality changed from RF 20 to RF 22
-Frame Rate changed to constant
-Encoder Tune set to “Film” (not sure what this does)
-Level changed from 4.0 to 4.1 (not sure what this does) and then back to 4.0 since one fo the test encodes was larger than expected.

The original settings seem to work pretty well but my Subtitle track was not in there since I deselected the default checkbox. How to add ST track without setting it to default? I'm still struggling with the Preset Rules for Audio and Subtitles.

Also, I’m thinking use passthrough audio (DTS HD or DTS or AC3 whatever has the highest quality) and not make a Stereo mix since my iPhone seems to play DTS HD or perhaps the Plex app is translating this on the fly. Do I need to worry about DTS HD audio not being playable?

I will have to experiment with h.265 encodes. I’m currently serving this on a 2014 Mac mini so power is limited. Later I can see a more powerful computer processing media over the LAN.

Other encoding thoughts? I would love to have a Blu Ray Custom settings that apply to most all BDs and perhaps a different one for DVDs and possibly a third for old DVDs that need to be deinterlaced.... One of the reasons I've been storing the MakeMKV output without encoding is that I'm preserving all of my options. Please help me understand HB better.

Thanks,

Rob
Need help with the same. Some help is appreciated

Thanks in advance'
Regards,
Oliver
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

With the same re: settings for Plex, or specifically about subtitles?
basementjack

Post by basementjack »

Same here! (I don't use plex, and I understand subtitles, but the encoder options are overwhelming)

I''m still experimenting - what I can say so far is that using h265 nvenc on CQ6, I still see banding, so that's still not good enough

I'm doing some more sample encodes tonight, and trying the software encoder to see if /anything/ can get rid of banding.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Do you "see" the banding in the source?
majstrzvasi

Post by majstrzvasi »

All this talk about plex so i tried it today. I load my movie colection into plex it made some nice trumbnails. The pc version in browser always converts the video even at maximum settings there is banding present picture quality is ok nothing special and the HDR video colors are shown incorect washed out. Now the app on the tv that impressed me.
On my home network my tv app played the original video no conversion it played the 4k HDR content properly no problem subtitles worked great with sound dts, aac, ac3 mkv files x265, x264 it played all perfectly no banding great picture like the original. So thumbs up i was realy impresed how great the h265 10bit codec is played. Plex also supports chapters so it was realy easy to navigate trough the movie even with normal remote.

So my recomendation go with the h265 and h265 10bit for HDR. Try to do some 1 minute rips so you can figure out what settings give you best quality and size. Or try some h264 vs h265 tests.
akyhne

Post by akyhne »

robertbroussard wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:04 pm -Encoder Tune set to “Film” (not sure what this does)
The setting is gone in latest version, as it just defaults when selecting "None".
And it's just an option that the encoder should see the video as being a movie.
Movie = any kind of film, home made movie, camera recording etc.

robertbroussard wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:04 pm -Level changed from 4.0 to 4.1 (not sure what this does) and then back to 4.0 since one fo the test encodes was larger than expected.
The only time you would want to change encoder level and profile, is if the player that needs to play the media, doesn't support the level in the video.
Sounds complicated, but it isn't really (sort of).
Older players usually only supports 4.0 or 4.1. Newer players that supports playback of UHD or HEVC, supports 5.0 or higher. The value basically says how high the bitrate can go in complex scenes.
Bitrates and frame rates for x.264 (1080P): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_ ... ing#Levels
Bitrates and frame rates for x.265 (4K): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Effi ... and_levels

x.264 supports a max. bitrate of 20,000 Kb/s for level 4.0 and 50,000 Kb/s for level 4.1. This means that if you convert a files at a specific level and the average bitrate of the final file is 15,000, there's little room for complex scenes (20,000), if you only used 4.0.

Create a short clip of a few minutes from a movie with your preferred settings at a complex scene. Use the "Range" feature in HB to select the starting- and end point.
Play back the clip in VLC Media Player and click Ctrl+J. This will open an info panel on top of the player.
Select "Statistics" tab.
Note the value going up and down at input/read -> Content bitrate. It will change depending of the complexity of the current scene.
If the video was made with level 4.0 and the bitrate goes close or to 20,000, try a new clip with level 4.1.

How to find out what your player can handle:
Well, just play some test clips. In manuals like TV, DVD & BD manuals, these limits are often provided, on smartphones etc. the info is next to impossible to find.
Test!

It doesn't matter if you select a to high level, as long as your player supports it. File sizes should not change. They only change, if the previous tested level was to small.
robertbroussard wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:04 pm The original settings seem to work pretty well but my Subtitle track was not in there since I deselected the default checkbox. How to add ST track without setting it to default? I'm still struggling with the Preset Rules for Audio and Subtitles.
Video files like mp4 and mkv are just containers, storing audio, video and subtitle tracks. You can just remux a new file with the missing subtitles. Remuxing is very fast, as no encoding is done.
robertbroussard wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:04 pm Also, I’m thinking use passthrough audio (DTS HD or DTS or AC3 whatever has the highest quality) and not make a Stereo mix since my iPhone seems to play DTS HD or perhaps the Plex app is translating this on the fly. Do I need to worry about DTS HD audio not being playable?
Use the same method as mentioned before - test with a short clip.
robertbroussard wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:04 pm I will have to experiment with h.265 encodes. I’m currently serving this on a 2014 Mac mini so power is limited. Later I can see a more powerful computer processing media over the LAN.
Well, it's best to go with the best format and that is h.265. But if your player(s) don't support the format and you are thinking of upgrading soon, then wait re-encoding all your files.
Deleted User 11865

akyhne wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:57 pm
robertbroussard wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:04 pm -Encoder Tune set to “Film” (not sure what this does)
The setting is gone in latest version, as it just defaults when selecting "None".
No it isn't. ???
akyhne

Post by akyhne »

Doesn't exist in my version 1.3.1 for Windows.
Deleted User 11865

Are you sure you're not accidentally using the x265 encoder?
akyhne

Post by akyhne »

Ah... that's why.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Remember, the bit rate restrictions imposed by level are per second (per buffer period but that's another discussion). One can have instantaneous (sub-second) bit rate much higher, e.g. a large complex keyframe followed by much smaller frames, so that the total bit rate sum for the period is less than or equal to the level limit.

So, level 4.0 is generally sufficient for 1080p24/25/30 as it still allows for exceeding the stated figures in short bursts. Likewise, level 4.1 allows short bursts so high in bit rate, some devices will stutter, despite claiming support. Hence, HandBrake's official 1080p30 presets use level 4.0.