Maybe outdated results in "Handbrake Documentation" (Performance)

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
T-buch

Maybe outdated results in "Handbrake Documentation" (Performance)

Post by T-buch »

This is about this Native Handbrake Documentation
https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/tec ... mance.html, -> Section: "Performance comparison between video encoders"

The results in "file size"are (quote): Official Preset:
  • "H.265 MKV 1080p30" = 466.3 MB
  • "H.264 MKV 1080p30" = 476.2 MB
The .265 is only 0,98 times as small as .265
I was wondering. It was not my experience

Then I made some encoding of my own and I find the .265 file to be 0,64 times as small as the .264 with the same Official Preset

So why are there such a difference??
Are the result from https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/tec ... mance.html quite outdated?

Otherwise, I think the review is quite good, rewarding and enlightening so if the results are rather old, I really think you should update it. And when you are in the moment also include Intels QSV. As you write yourself: "Intel QSV producing slightly higher quality encodes" (so why was they not included in the first place)

HandBrake version: 1.3.0
BradleyS

Re: Maybe outdated results in "Handbrake Documentation" (Performance)

Post by BradleyS »

This depends on the complexity of the source and various encoding parameters. Results can vary wildly.

QSV was not covered because I do not have QSV-capable hardware. I hope to revisit the article when I have it.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

As for the age of the article, it was written this year just before HandBrake 1.3.0 was released. So the variances you see likely have to do with your chosen source being different enough from the one tested in the article.
T-buch

Post by T-buch »

Thanks for your update

But do you think that your source test file in the mentioned article was representative? I have done a quite a few test on my own and I have never seen that the file-size of HEVC was almost the same as the .264. In fact I thought that it was a common fact that the .265 was about twice effective as .264. That was also what BBC concluded in 2016 https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2016-01-h ... s-verified
and also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Effi ... efficiency shows a bit rate reduction from 52 to 64%
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

But do you think that your source test file in the mentioned article was representative?
Representative of what? Source material varies drastically and different people have different interests (anime, action/adventure, documentary, etc). Depending on your particular interests you may get drastically different results than someone with a different mix of content. Swings in file size of an order of magnitude are possible using exactly the same settings on 2 sources of the same duration.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Other than large frame sizes (4K and up) or very low bitrate targets (depends on content, but think 0.5Mbps for HD), x265 has little advantage over x264. Other H.265 and H.264 encoders may have different results.
T-buch

Post by T-buch »

There must be some reason that someone developed the .265 format
But you never can tell (as they say) - But maybe someone could drop some documentation as i did ;)
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

T-bunch wrote:There must be some reason that someone developed the .265 format
mduell wrote:large frame sizes (4K and up) or very low bitrate targets