No video stream present in output from 4K x265 conversion

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
butidontcare

No video stream present in output from 4K x265 conversion

Post by butidontcare »

I'm trying to create lower bitrate versions of a few 4K x265 files. The result is always that the output file has only an audio stream and no video. I have tried using both mkv and mp4 output containers and I have tried using x264, 10 bit x264, x265 and 10bit x265 as codec but the result is always the same. The encode starts but the FPS/avg FPS counts stay at 0.00 and the encode just lasts as long as it takes for the audio conversion to run. I have tried with the latest version downloaded from the handbrake site and also with the latest nightly build. This happens with a number of different files not just one. All the files are 4k and x265, some are in mkv containers some in mp4.... doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm running Windows 10

Activity log is here:

https://pastebin.com/WUBq4Dig

It appears to be able to scan the file but not read any of the frames when time comes to do the encode.

Grateful for any assistance you can provide.
Deleted User 13735

Re: No video stream present in output from 4K x265 conversion

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Code: Select all

"Video": {
    "Encoder": "x265_10bit",
Your source is 8 bit. It is apparently being decoded correctly. Try the 8 bit encoder.
In general, encoding 8 bit source in a 10 bit wrapper is called "adding air."
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

musicvid wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:28 pmIn general, encoding 8 bit source in a 10 bit wrapper is called "adding air."
Ateme disagrees and explains why.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

[14:02:56] hevc_qsv-decoder done: 0 frames, 191284 decoder errors
In Preferences->Video, UNCHECK "Prefer use of Intel QuickSync for decoding video when available".

(edited because option name changed in 1.3)
Deleted User 13735

Ateme disagrees and explains why.
Yes, internet alchemists have been throwing charts and theories for years. And they are persistent.
And producers have been debunking them right along with empirical, quantified testing.
I ran these tests in 2014 and repeated from scratch in 2018.
8 gallons of water in a 10 gallon bucket is still just 8 gallons.
As you can see, no bandwidth is gained or lost.
https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/l ... 4A5075.png
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

musicvid wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:13 pm And producers have been debunking them right along with empirical, quantified testing.
Do you have a link to any of these?
Deleted User 13735

Yes, one is linked above. Feel free to start a thread in the Tiki Bar with some of your own tests.
butidontcare

Post by butidontcare »

Thanks to everyone for prompt responses.

@musicvid I take your point. I shan't join in on the debate about 10bits vs 8bits but I will say that I don't think this is the reason for there being no video output. I tried encoding the same files with 8bit x265 and with 8bit x264 with the same result. I think it must be related to the decoding of a 4K x265 stream as I am able to run successful conversions on 1080p files (mostly AVC I think but I will try an 1080p HEVC and update the thread).

My feeling is that at some point I changed a configuration setting somewhere because a couple of months ago I was running 4K x265 conversions successfully.

@Woodstock Thanks, I will try this and report back.
butidontcare

Post by butidontcare »

@Woodstock Your suggestion appears to be working. Many thanks.

@musicvid... just curious, what made you think the file was 8bit? When I run Mediainfo on it I get this:

Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 10 bits
Deleted User 13735

Because it appeared to begin life as a BluRay. It looks like an error was made in the conversion to MKV.
I think Woodstocks observation is a more likely culprit, however.