SMPTE ST 2094

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
majstrzvasi

SMPTE ST 2094

Post by majstrzvasi »

IN handbrake in advanced options with below command i can get the HDR format: SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
master-display=G(13250,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP(15635,16450)L(x,x) :max-cll=x,x

Does anione knows the comand for handbrake to do a HDR format: SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible?
Deleted User 13735

Re: SMPTE ST 2094

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

No, Handbrake does not support HDR Metadata. which is defined by SMPTE 2094 and other standards. I'd give it a year or two...
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Actually, I hadn't really given this much thought. The out of band HDR metadata is just hinting information used by TVs to improve how they display the video. But HDR metadata does not contain any additional color information. All the color information is present in the inband video stream. So in theory you can recreate the HDR metedata from the video if you do the necessary analysis to determine it's dynamic range. I presume this is what majstrzvasi has done (or he just knows what the original values were for his source).

That said, HandBrake's pipeline is 8 bits. So although we pass the source color transfer characteristics to the output, raw dynamic range is lost when converting 10 bit sources.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Thanks for digging down a layer, that helps my understanding.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

JohnAStebbins wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:28 pmSo in theory you can recreate the HDR metedata from the video if you do the necessary analysis to determine it's dynamic range. I presume this is what majstrzvasi has done (or he just knows what the original values were for his source).
I'd assume it's just some copypasta they saw somewhere once and are mindlessly propagating.
majstrzvasi

Post by majstrzvasi »

If i understand this corectly SMPTE ST 2086 HDR10 in static so it just determents the basic values unlike SMPTE ST 2094 HDR10+ is daynamic and it works trough the whole movie adapting for best hdr experience. If tv actualy support it.

I rip 4k hdr remuxes Or i remux the Bluray myself and then rip it. I get he Mastering Display Color Volume Metadata from the source with mediainfo it realy is not that hard. I found the jason files for SMPTE ST 2094 HDR10+ but it is out of my league to use it.

Tell me why would i store bluray 60gb if i can compress it to 6gb and i am happy with the quality. 8bit pipline 10bit pipline until i canot tell the difference from the source it is good enoug pipline.

What it is interesting to me on my tv there is no difference in hdr or color from source or my handbrake rip with or without Mastering Display Color Volume Metadata so i gues my tv just ignores the Metadata and do its own thing. I must try this on some other tvs wich have proper HDR and 10bit pannels not like my cheap samsung and i will try to figure out this thing with Mastering Display Color Volume Metadata.