Burning SRT Subtitles Onto An Existing Video

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
dehalley

Burning SRT Subtitles Onto An Existing Video

Post by dehalley »

Description of problem or question:
I have MKV videos of a TV series (Video & Audio - no subs).
I have SRT subtitles for that series.
I want to make new MKVs with the subtitles burned in.
I used Handbrake to open an MKV file, and then imported the corresponding SRT file.
I want English subtitles for the foreign language scenes only.
However, no matter what combination of options I choose, I either get no subtitles at all or subtitles for the entire video.
Handbrake instructions do not quite match the options I see on my screen, but in any event, the various "Forced Only" and "Burn In" options do not work as one would expect.
Given the above, if someone is successfully doing exactly what I would like to do, I would appreciate some concise instruction help. I know my way around a computer pretty well, but these things are often hard to explain in text, so screen shots might also be helpful.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

1.3.0 (2019110900)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 1809, OS Build 17763.805

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
BradleyS

Re: Burning SRT Subtitles Onto An Existing Video

Post by BradleyS »

Your SRT probably contains all the English subtitles. You need an SRT with only the forced subs, or source video with a forced subtitles track. Basically, there is no information in any of your files to tell HandBrake which subtitles should be displayed and which should be hidden.