Trancode Without Losing Quality

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
spetrillo

Trancode Without Losing Quality

Post by spetrillo »

Hello all,

I use a number of Amazon Fire Sticks in my home, for media streaming. Most of my media content is in MKV. I would like to transcode to MP4 without losing any quality, ie just converting the wrapper. Is there a default config for this type of work?

Thanks,
Steve
Deleted User 11865

Re: Trancode Without Losing Quality

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

What you want is called remuxing, not transcoding. HandBrake doesn't do remuxing, it always re-encodes the video track.
spetrillo

Post by spetrillo »

Thanks...any suggestions on a tool to use for this?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

You can do this with ffmpeg command line; in fact, their site has several examples of how to do it.

What are you using for playback on the FireTV? I use ViMu, and it plays MKV files just fine. VLC can work, as well.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

As mentioned, rewrap in ffmpeg is a simple process.

VideoRedo is a paid solution for Windows that will mux or transcode, and also clean up stream and GOP errors, resync audio and indices, and even remove commercials from broadcast recordings. I'm not a stockholder, just a big fan.
spetrillo

Post by spetrillo »

I am using Plex to playback on my Fire devices, and what I am finding is that the MKV is transcoded on the fly for these devices, whereas my Nvidia Shield does not transcode. Since my daughter is accessing remotely I want to keep her transcoding to a minimum.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Plex is usually able to remux without re-encoding the video, but if there are subtitles it may need to transcode regardless of whether the source in Plex is MKV or not.
masterjp

Post by masterjp »

The best tool for it is XMedia Recode (freeware).
It is a video encoder like handbrake, but have some big advantages to copy a video or audio stream from the source file to the destination file.
You can copy the video stream and encode the audio stream to another format. Although you can convert a mkv file to mp4 or otherwise without reencoding! That is fantastic.
masterjp

Post by masterjp »

Xmedia Recode supports different languages (english, german, french, etc.)

Here is the english website:
https://www.xmedia-recode.de/en/
andrewk89
Novice

Post by andrewk89 »

Avidemux for lossless cutting, changing the container, etc. Also does transcoding with more audio and video filters than HB.