Better encodes from Mac vs PC?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
archer75

Better encodes from Mac vs PC?

Post by archer75 »

I have a question that hopefully someone can help me with.

I have two computers, a PC I built and a 2018 mac mini. Using handbrake 1.2 on both(i've used other versions and nightly builds with the same results), using the same settings with the same file and encoding with HEVC 10bit I get very different results.

The PC uses an Intel 5820 and the Mac uses an Intel 8700.

The encode that comes out of the macs 8700 is quite a bit smaller file size than the one produced by the 5820 and it also has noticeably better image quality. Why is that? I'm considering an upgrade and knowing why the file is both smaller with better quality would help me in choosing which processor for a new build.
Deleted User 11865

Re: Better encodes from Mac vs PC?

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Logs or it didn't happen. You're most likely accidentally using different settings on one vs. the other machine.
archer75

Post by archer75 »

Rodeo wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:23 pm Logs or it didn't happen. You're most likely accidentally using different settings on one vs. the other machine.
Yes, i'll post logs. Just stuck at work right now so it will have to be later. Just doing some searching trying to figure out what it could be so I can look in to it further when I get home. All the settings I can see in the GUI are identical between the two. So it must be something behind the scenes?
Deleted User 11865

Maybe. The logs will definitely have the answer :)
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Yea, there's no chance a question about the differences in two specific encodes is a general question not requiring logs.
archer75 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:45 pmAll the settings I can see in the GUI are identical between the two. So it must be something behind the scenes?
Extremely unlikely; very likely something you missed in the GUI. Easy to point out when we have the requisite logs.
archer75

Post by archer75 »

I found the issue. I was switching between mac and PC via KVM, had several profiles setup on each and the one on the mac I wanted to use was set as default but the one on the PC I didn't set as default so as I setup a variety of tests I ended up using the wrong profile for one of them so 1 setting was different. I corrected it and reran the test and all is well.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

pikachusurpriseface.gif
Diamna

Post by Diamna »

I'm considering an upgrade and knowing why the file is both smaller with better quality would help me in choosing which processor for a new build.
Deleted User 11865

Read the whole topic. It was user error…