Sysctl.conf optimization?

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
LouieLouie

Sysctl.conf optimization?

Post by LouieLouie »

Are there any recommended kernel optimizations for Handbrake similar to

vm.dirty_ratio=30
vm.dirty_background_ratio=10
vm.swappiness=10
vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50

My quad-core AMD runs at nearly 99% on all cores so I'm definitely getting some use but just wondering...

-LouieLouie
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Sysctl.conf optimization?

Post by JohnAStebbins »

If you are looking to squeeze every last bit of performance out of your system, I recommend looking that the clear linux distro created by Intel. Some benchmarks are here https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... lear&num=3

I don't know what all the particular changes they have made are, but they work well on both amd and intel cpus.
LouieLouie

Re: Sysctl.conf optimization?

Post by LouieLouie »

Since I have a 'spare' AMD machine running Magiea 7 I was looking at https://cromwell-intl.com/open-source/p ... disks.html and did the following:
1. in /etc/init.d/mandrake-everytime added

Code: Select all

for DISK in sda sdb
do
	echo 512  /sys/block/${DISK}/queue/read_ahead_kb 
done
2. in /etc/sysctl.d/ created file 11-my-sysctl.conf

Code: Select all

vm.swappiness=90
vm.dirty_ratio=50
vm.dirty_background_ratio=25
vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50
3. Added "elevator=none" to /etc/default/grub since this is not an 'interactive' machine.

This is the basics I started with and have been tweaking shared pages, block sizes, read-aheads besides using Xcfe window manager. I've installed the sensord pkg and once I feel I've got this stabilized I'll go with overclocking next: gone from ~ 8k Bogomips to 9k and still easily within good tmp range.