Is subtitle "pass through" planned?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
IDtheTarget
New User

Is subtitle "pass through" planned?

Post by IDtheTarget »

Description of problem or question:
My wife hates subtitles and never watches them if I'm not in the room. However, I'm becoming very hard of hearing and watch subtitles whenever possible. So, it's important to me to be able to turn on and off subtitles. If I rip a DVD or Blue-Ray using MakeMKV and copy the raw MKV to my Plex server, no problem. However, I have yet to figure out a way to just "pass through" the subtitles through Handbrake so that they operate in the same way. And, honestly, I guess I'm mostly speaking about closed captioning here, though I don't know that I fully understand the difference.

So, I guess I have three questions:

1) Does Handbrake actually do this, where the output behaves in the same manner as the input (with regards to subtitles/CC) and I just don't know how to properly use the software?

2) If I'm correct and Handbrake *doesn't* have such an option, is it likely to get one in the (near) future?

3) If the answer to #2 is "no", is there another software program that *does* just pass-through closed captioning for those of us with hearing problems?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10 1903

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Is subtitle "pass through" planned?

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

HB supports subtitle passthrough, so any issue is specific to your situation and you'd need to provide the requisite logs.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

If your destination were MP4 files, the subtitles can be an issue. because of the limitations of MP4. I pass subtitles through to MKV files all the time, without issue... but you've got the added complication of Plex, which may be doing things to "enhance the compatibility" with your playback device.

So we REALLY need the encode log to see what's happening.