How to get the full options Handbrakes uses to encode a DVD ?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
xuo

How to get the full options Handbrakes uses to encode a DVD ?

Post by xuo »

Hi,

I'm using HandBrake 1.2.2 under Mageia7.
My goal is to be able to encode a lot of DVDs (I've bought !!). I could find a way to do it using the HandBrake Gui. But with a lot of DVDs, it won't be possible.
Till now, I was using tccat, tcextract, transcode, ... but in Mageia7, there is a bug in transcode that prevents me to do the same.

My question : is it possible to get the full options used by the gui and to pass them to handbrakeCLI ?
I could try to reverse the activity.log file but it will be painful and arguments like :
-x level=4.1:ref=4:b-adapt=2:direct=auto:me=umh:subq=8:rc-lookahead=50:psy-rd=1.0,0.15:deblock=-1,-1:vbv-bufsize=30000:vbv-maxrate=40000:slices=4
are not really self-explaining and I'm not sure it will be easy to translate the activity log file to CLI commands.

Regards.

Xuo.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: How to get the full options Handbrakes uses to encode a DVD ?

Post by s55 »

Since the GUI doesn't use HandBrakeCLI, no query is ever generated.

HandBrakeCLI --help will give you the list of available options. The options you list above are x264 encoder options which can be copied to the CLI as an input argument if you then translate all the HandBrake options listed in the log into their CLI equivalents.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

If you can't follow the CLI docs, you can set up a GUI preset, export it, and then import the preset into the CLI. Of course you're limited to GUI options this way.
xuo

Post by xuo »

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I'll see what I can do with this.
Why does transcode has this bug ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards.

Xuo.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Ask them.
xuo

Post by xuo »

Hi,

I could get what I wanted doing the following :
HandBrakeCLI --preset 'Super HQ 1080p30 Surround' --audio $HB_audioTrack -i vobFile -o mp4File
I get the french audio track with the lsdvd command + grep and gawk ones.

Regards.

Xuo.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

You could also create a custom preset in the GUI with "add first (or all) track(s) matching selected languages" and ticking French in the list, then using this preset via the CLI (see HandBrakeCLI --help and --preset-import-gui) ;)
xuo

Post by xuo »

Hi,

I couldn't make it work that way because I couldn't find any French track from the HB gui. All tracks were defined as 'Unknown' (no language was clearly defined).

Regards.

Xuo.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Well if your source is a DVD you're not supposed to open the VOB file (they don't contain track language information), but the VIDEO_TS folder…