Usability Issues

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Jumperdumper

Usability Issues

Post by Jumperdumper »

Hello,

I consider Handbrake a very good tool but don´t use it often because there are some unsability issues.

1.: filename isn´t transfered correctly as a default. Handbreak wants to save source file IMG_0935_small.mov as IMG 0935 small.mkv.
Very annoying to transfer the file names of maybe 10 clips manually. I often have to compress those repeatedly.

2.: it always wants to save a mkv file as preset, not a .mp4 - so I always have to change that manually.

3.: Ideally we could drag 10 files in, set the quality and target location and it automatically saves 10 mp4s with EXACTLY the same name and constant source framerate. Could be a matter of 5 Seconds - but seems quite tedious on windows.

I´m using windows, just updated to Handbrake 1.2.2

Any chance to have this fixed?
Or are there project preferences I´m missing?

Thanks so far!
Jumper
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: Usability Issues

Post by Ritsuka »

1. Set your preferred options in the preferences.
2. Save your own preset with your preferred format and make it the default.
3. You can scan an entire folder right now, and add all to the queue.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

It sounds like you're using the GUI, which is a confusing angry spaghetti IMO. All of these are trivial to script with the CLI.
Jumperdumper

Post by Jumperdumper »

Thanks guys, perfect, 1 seems to be new!

2.: yes, but I think then it´s only limited to let´s say a 720p resolution. or 1080p resolution. not "same as source".
Instead I think the preset should always be: "use source resolution, use source framerate, use constant framerate" as this seems the only versatile settings that cover most cases.

3.: yes, but often you have all rendered files in one folder, also those already converted. So it would be great to just drag´n´drop as many videos as you want, wouldn´t it?

Also additionally 4.: how do I set the path to "same as source"? Is there a shortcode just as with the filenames for the preferences?

I´m using the GUI, yes.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

2. You can set it to the maximum size in the new preset window.
3. Of course, but no one implemented it yet.
4. Yes, but I don't remember right now.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

How you do 4 is dependent upon which GUI right now.

{source_path} is the placeholder/macro to use, but not all the GUIs support it yet. Windows has it, at least.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Jumperdumper wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:55 am2.: yes, but I think then it´s only limited to let´s say a 720p resolution. or 1080p resolution. not "same as source".
Instead I think the preset should always be: "use source resolution, use source framerate, use constant framerate" as this seems the only versatile settings that cover most cases.
Constant framerate isn't particularly sensible given the amount of mixed content in the real world.
Source framerate and resolution are the defaults unless you pick a preset specifying otherwise.