Default bitrate for Presets when Mixdown different

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ByteShare

Default bitrate for Presets when Mixdown different

Post by ByteShare »

Is there a way to fix Presets for audio when the Mixdown (channels) are different than the preset?

Create a Preset and set the Mixdown to 7.1 bitrate 1536
-All matching Selected Languages
-Selected Languages: (Any)
-For Additional Tracks: Use First Track as template
On a Stereo Mixdown it defaults the bitrate to 160 rather than 512 aka the next closest bit rate down in a chosen number of channels (mixdown).

If I chose Mixdown to 7.1 bitrate 256 and use a stereo source it will default to 256 since it is in the range of options.

On an older version of HandBrake it would default to the next highest valid value.
HandBrake version 1.2.2
Win10 1809
ByteShare

Re: Default bitrate for Presets when Mixdown different

Post by ByteShare »

I'm looking through the source code...not a programmer...just trying to find where the default levels are being defined for each codec.
Anyone able to help me find that? I might just change the defaults and compile that in the mean time because as it is Presets aren't very helpful for mixed batched of files for me.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

libhb/common.c somewhere, off the top of my head.
ByteShare

Post by ByteShare »

Rodeo wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:16 pm libhb/common.c somewhere, off the top of my head.
Thank you, that looks right: https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/ ... b/common.c
Looks like I just need to play with the " *low = nchannels * 8" cases to change the default low to something a little higher since I don't get to supply a range with presets.
ByteShare

Post by ByteShare »

Changing those values and compiling HB seems to be work around for now (for me), since I found this request to enhance that should make it easier in the future: https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/issues/2129