File Size

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
brown945
New User

File Size

Post by brown945 »

Description of problem or question:
Hello. I've been using Handbrake with MakeMKV to digitize my bluray collection. I have noticed that after using handbrake to encode the mkv files some the movies are between 3 and 9 gigs. 4 gigs is too much for my hard drive set up. Is there a way to ensure the movies are encoded to less than 4 gigs without losing quality? Thanks.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
Version 1.2.2

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Macbook Pro Early 2015

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: File Size

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Is there a way to ensure the movies are encoded to less than 4 gigs without losing quality
A log would tell us if you are doing anything ill advised that is causing larger than required file sizes. But the more general answer to your question is no. Transcoding always results in loss of quality. The smaller the file size, the more quality you are going to lose.

Ensuring video is less than some specified size is really a separate question. HandBrake doesn't have a uniform way to keep the file below a specific size. You would have to use the average bitrate option (ABR) on the video pane and calculate the required bitrate using the duration of the video and the output size you require.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

If 4 GB is too big for your destination drive to handle, you need to reformat to NTFS.