Cannot open converted file

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
SJamG

Cannot open converted file

Post by SJamG »

Hi there,

I have been trying to convert DVDs into MP4 (so it will go into iTunes) for a while now, as i have an appleTV and would like to fill it with movies.

My problem is that when i leave it overnight to convert a DVD, in the morning, i try an open the file and it says :

'Quicktime cannot open the specified file'

I dont care about size, all i want is the best quality, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

SJamG
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

easy, use the AppleTV Preset.
SJamG

Post by SJamG »

Is there a setting on the new version for AppleTV?

does it convert in good quality?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

SJamG wrote:Is there a setting on the new version for AppleTV?

does it convert in good quality?
Um, what version are you using ? you need to give alot more information if you expect us to help you.

Yes, in case you missed it there is a new version 0.9.1. If you do not see an AppleTV preset in the presets drawer, use Presets -> Update Presets in the main menu bar.

c'mon, help us help you.
Bear Hunter

Re: Cannot open converted file

Post by Bear Hunter »

SJamG wrote:Hi there,

I have been trying to convert DVDs into MP4 (so it will go into iTunes) for a while now, as i have an appleTV and would like to fill it with movies.

My problem is that when i leave it overnight to convert a DVD, in the morning, i try an open the file and it says :

'Quicktime cannot open the specified file'

I dont care about size, all i want is the best quality, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

SJamG
Yeah...I'm thinking your MP4 file is larger than 4GB, and HB was unable to demux it. As I understand it... your supposed to check "Enable 64 bit MP4 file option" under the "advanced" settings in "preferences" for it to work. I am trying that right now myself....so I'll let you know how it goes.

On another note....I believe there are limits to file size that Apple TV and iTunes can handle...so it may be in your best interest to use the presets for the medium in HB for this.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Bear Hunter, Good thought. I was hoping the OP would tell us more about what he/she is doing.

yeah, in prefs check to allow for > 4gb option. Then in the main window you will see a new checkbox which you can check for those encodes that you want to be 64-bit mpeg4 (which allows it to be over 4 gb.) You are right about not playing nice with atv though.

As I said. I would use the preset first, even on one chapter just to make sure all is well. Then go from there.
Bear Hunter

Post by Bear Hunter »

dynaflash wrote: Then in the main window you will see a new checkbox which you can check for those encodes that you want to be 64-bit mpeg4 (which allows it to be over 4 gb.)
^^ Thank you .... I missed that checkbox in the main window and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't demux. I tried it again and everything ran perfectly.

Thanks Dyna!