scanning failing on all dvds

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Tink

scanning failing on all dvds

Post by Tink »

Description of problem or question:
I am suddenly unable to scan any DVDs that I wish to encode. As usual I open Handbrake, select source and it gets to between 50% and 99% and then simply hangs there interminably. I am able to play the DVDs in question in VLC. Any and all help much appreciated. I am NOT tech savvy but can follow instructions :D

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):1.2.2

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):Windows 10

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

https://pastebin.com/VJaz94rG
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: scanning failing on all dvds

Post by Woodstock »

Since handbrake is not a disk ripper, have you tried using a ripper? MakeMKV and AnyDVD are popular on Windows, and are both much better at ripping disks than handbrake with an unsupported 3rd-party add-on.
Tink

Post by Tink »

Thank you, i had been using handbrake seamlessly to load my collection of DVDs to my laptop. No idea why it suddenly stopped being able to do this but I will look at the two you suggest, thank you again!
Cape Ranger

Post by Cape Ranger »

I feel your pain. I'm having the same problem and will start a new thread with the log file so someone may be able to help.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The "suddenly stops working" is the biggest reason the third-party library hasn't been supported for over a decade now.

Install an operating system update? Suddenly the link between the programs is "virus-like behavior", and disallowed... sometimes with a warning message, other times just a log entry.

Some disks use "not quite illegal" directory structures that the 3PL does nothing to figure out, and the navigation code in handbrake doesn't expect.

Even a dirty disk can cause an encode to only partially succeed, with no apparent error reported.

If you look through the change log on MakeMKV's download site, you will see many entries for "better results with poorly-authored disks" and similar.
Tink

Post by Tink »

Thank you Woodstock and Cape Ranger. I had limited success with MakeMKV and then a few worked again on Handbrake but I've sort of given up under the frustration *insert very crazy face!*
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

If MakeMKV isn't working, you may have a hardware problem.
Tink

Post by Tink »

Eek I hope not, I think the universe is telling me to get outside and stop watching DVDs ;)