Blu-Ray-compliant setting/preset for use in TMPGEnc Authoring Works

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
cddb2

Blu-Ray-compliant setting/preset for use in TMPGEnc Authoring Works

Post by cddb2 »

Description of problem or question:
I want to compress some videos using Handbrake 1.2.2 to use in TMPGEnc Authoring Works to create a custom Blu-Ray disc. But the files I made so far are usually not accepted by Authoring Works and would be re-compressed again. If someone could point me to the correct settings or a preset I would be extremely grateful.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows10

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

HandBrake 1.2.2 (2019022300)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz
Ram: 16328 MB, 
GPU Information:
  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - 26.21.14.3118
Screen: 1920x1080
Temp Dir: C:\Users\D\AppData\Local\Temp\
Install Dir: C:\Program Files\HandBrake
Data Dir: C:\Users\D\AppData\Roaming\HandBrake

-------------------------------------------
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Blu-Ray-compliant setting/preset for use in TMPGEnc Authoring Works

Post by mduell »

Why not just encode with TMPGEnc from your source?
cddb2

Post by cddb2 »

mduell wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:28 pm Why not just encode with TMPGEnc from your source?
I only have Authoring Works, not the Video Mastering-Suite. On top of that, I need to add some subtitles to the video and the subtitle-support in TMPG-software is not as robust as I like to, so just burning-in the subs into the video with Handbrake would make thing a lot easier for me.
I have also tried to add the parameters from http://www.x264bluray.com/ to the Handbrake-encode, but the resulting file still wasn’t up to the BD-standard.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Having the encode log will help here. There are several things mentioned on your link, like forcing CFR, that might not be happening. But, only the logs will tell us that.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

BluRay compatible switch in x264 has never worked. Neither have other schemes to produce compliant BluRay files for my authoring programs. They all end up being re-encoded.
cddb2

Post by cddb2 »

Here some more info:

My "Video"-tab-settings in Handbrake: https://i.imgur.com/RR87xOS.jpg

What Authoring Works is "complaining" about: https://i.imgur.com/pgBD6mI.jpg

My Encode-Log: https://pastebin.com/TDQxqKvx

Anyway, thanks for all the help, really appreciated!
cddb2

Post by cddb2 »

Replying to myself here, I figured out the command-chain to make Handbrake encode a BluRay-compliant file:

https://i.imgur.com/kBlqmTa.png

bluray-compat=:vbv-maxrate=40000:vbv-bufsize=30000:keyint=24:open-gop=:slices=4:colorprim=bt709:transfer=bt709:colormatrix=bt709:level=4.1:ref=4:bframes=8:b-adapt=2:direct=auto:deblock=-1,-1:analyse=all:me=umh:merange=24:subme=10:trellis=2:psy-rd=1,0.15:rc-lookahead=60
By using those settings (and AC3 as sound-codec) TMPG Authoring Works (and probably others) will accept the file without re-encoding.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

cddb2 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:45 am

bluray-compat=:vbv-maxrate=40000:vbv-bufsize=30000:keyint=24:open-gop=:slices=4:colorprim=bt709:transfer=bt709:colormatrix=bt709:level=4.1:ref=4:bframes=8:b-adapt=2:direct=auto:deblock=-1,-1:analyse=all:me=umh:merange=24:subme=10:trellis=2:psy-rd=1,0.15:rc-lookahead=60
It should be bluray-compat=1 in HandBrake; bluray-compat= may work but it's not correct syntax. Same for open-gop. The bframes and some other options are overridden by bluray-compat, BTW.

Here's the minimum amount of options you need in the advanced options text box for 1080p24:

bluray-compat=1:vbv-maxrate=40000:vbv-bufsize=30000:keyint=24:open-gop=1:slices=4:colorprim=bt709:transfer=bt709:colormatrix=bt709
Other options can be set using dedicated drop-down widgets:

- frame rate to CFR (constant framerate)

- frame rate to 23.976 or 24 frames per second depending on the source video's frame rate
>>> (or 25, 29.97, 30 if the source is that, don't forget you can then adjust the keyint value to 25 or 30, respectively)

- encoder preset and tune as desired, they have no effect on Blu-ray compatibility

- H.264 level to 4.1 via the dedicated drop-down

- H.264 profile to High or Auto
Deleted User 13735

Here is a link a developer friend used to get files from x264 that work in TMPGENC Authoring.
http://www.x264bluray.com/

He reports success using a command line like this (in Happy Otter Scripts)

ffmpeg -y -i <inAVS> -c:v libx264  -pix_fmt yuv420p -b:v 35000k  -preset medium -tune film -level:v 4.1 --x264-params  bluray-compat --vbv-maxrate 40000 --vbv-bufsize 30000 --keyint 60 --open-gop --slices 4 --colorprim "bt709" --transfer "bt709" --colormatrix "bt709" --sar 1:1 -an  <outFile>.mp4
Deleted User 11865

musicvid wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:48 pmHe reports success using a command line like this (in Happy Otter Scripts)

ffmpeg -y -i <inAVS> -c:v libx264  -pix_fmt yuv420p -b:v 35000k  -preset medium -tune film -level:v 4.1 --x264-params  bluray-compat --vbv-maxrate 40000 --vbv-bufsize 30000 --keyint 60 --open-gop --slices 4 --colorprim "bt709" --transfer "bt709" --colormatrix "bt709" --sar 1:1 -an  <outFile>.mp4
He's lucky, this is not correct syntax for the --x264-params command:

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/H.2 ... etsettings
Deleted User 13735

The reason it's different is because HOS runs AVS, VDub, ffmpeg, and Debugmode frameserver modules simultaneously in Vegas. Are the quoted --x264-params not correct syntax? He says these work for TMPGENC but not Architect.

--x264-params  bluray-compat --vbv-maxrate 40000 --vbv-bufsize 30000 --keyint 60 --open-gop --slices 4 --colorprim "bt709" --transfer "bt709" --colormatrix "bt709" --sar 1:1 -an  <outFile>.mp4 
Last edited by Deleted User 13735 on Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 11865

musicvid wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:00 pm

--x264-params  bluray-compat --vbv-maxrate 40000
You tell me, is --vbv-maxrate an argument to --x264-params or an ffmpeg option?
Deleted User 13735

Not sure I understand.
Single-dash ffmpeg, double-dash x264, colon Handbrake?
The line runs in HOS (just checked it), and I see now it is identical to that given above by the OP, but in Handbrake syntax. That said, I just copied it, no idea how well it works for TMPGENC Authoring.

HOS runs commands to several modules concurrently and consecutively using frameserver, then chains them to a single output. I have no idea how Wayne did it.
https://tools4vegas.com/home/
akyhne

Post by akyhne »

cddb2 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:05 am I only have Authoring Works, not the Video Mastering-Suite.
Last time I used Authoring Works some years ago, it did encoding just great and resized the files to fit the disk.

And from their current webpage:
TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6 features the "Smart Rendering" output function. Smart rendering has the ability to analyze a video file and re-encode only the parts that have been changed, such as cut/split/join points and sections where transitions or other effects have been added. Parts of the video that have not changed are not re-encoded
Using HB for the purpose won't even guarantee you that the file will not be to big.
cddb2 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:05 am On top of that, I need to add some subtitles to the video and the subtitle-support in TMPG-software is not as robust as I like to, so just burning-in the subs into the video with Handbrake would make thing a lot easier for me.
I have also tried to add the parameters from http://www.x264bluray.com/ to the Handbrake-encode, but the resulting file still wasn’t up to the BD-standard.
I don't remember what subtitle formats are supported by Authoring Works, but you can always use Subtitle Edit to convert to a valid format.
Subtitle Edit is extremely powerful: https://www.nikse.dk/
Kriz24

Post by Kriz24 »

Hello. Someone else gave me the Link to this Thread, I hope someone here can help me.

I want to be able to create my own DVDs and Blu-Rays, but I don't really know the best Formats, Codecs, etc, to convert the Movies and TV Shows to using Handbrake in order to use Burnova to make them DVDs and Blu-Rays and be able to play the Discs on DVD Players and Blu-Ray Players. I have the most recent Versions of both Handbrake and Burnova. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Deleted User 13735

Again, Handbrake is not DVD/BluRay authoring software. It will not do what you want.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_D ... g_software
Kriz24

Post by Kriz24 »

musicvid wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:32 pm Again, Handbrake is not DVD/BluRay authoring software. It will not do what you want.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_D ... g_software
No, I'm using Burnova to author the DVDs/Blu-Rays. I just need to Convert the Videos to a Format that will play on DVD/Blu-Ray Players.
Deleted User 13735

Thanks for clarifying.
Actually, you need to render your videos to a format that is compatible with your authoring software, which is usually more restrictive than just making Bluray spec.

I don't know your authoring software, but it should be capable of making self-compliant renders without outside encoders. Architect and TMPGENC both do this routinely.

You are of course welcome to try in Handbrake, but I can tell you from experience that the hair you will lose trying does not grow back...
Deleted User 13735

As I suggested, Burnova makes its own compliant files for authoring from many formats. You do not need to do anything special in Handbrake. One of the 1080 p30 presets is a good place to start.
Burnova is compatible with almost all video formats for DVD/Blu-ray making. You are able to import video from MP4, AVI, WMV, MKV, M4V, MOV, M2TS/MTS, 3GP, VOB, FLV, MPEG, MPG, DV, RMVB, TOD, ASF, etc., even HD MPEG2, HD MPEG4, HD WMV, HD TS, HD MTS, HD TRP, and HD TP video files. It lets you add external audio track from MP3, AAC, AIFF, FLAC, WAV, WMA, OGG, AC3, MPA, MP2, etc. to make your own video.
Kriz24

Post by Kriz24 »

musicvid wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:34 pm As I suggested, Burnova makes its own compliant files for authoring from many formats. You do not need to do anything special in Handbrake. One of the 1080 p30 presets is a good place to start.
Burnova is compatible with almost all video formats for DVD/Blu-ray making. You are able to import video from MP4, AVI, WMV, MKV, M4V, MOV, M2TS/MTS, 3GP, VOB, FLV, MPEG, MPG, DV, RMVB, TOD, ASF, etc., even HD MPEG2, HD MPEG4, HD WMV, HD TS, HD MTS, HD TRP, and HD TP video files. It lets you add external audio track from MP3, AAC, AIFF, FLAC, WAV, WMA, OGG, AC3, MPA, MP2, etc. to make your own video.
musicvid wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:52 pm Thanks for clarifying.
Actually, you need to render your videos to a format that is compatible with your authoring software, which is usually more restrictive than just making Bluray spec.

I don't know your authoring software, but it should be capable of making self-compliant renders without outside encoders. Architect and TMPGENC both do this routinely.

You are of course welcome to try in Handbrake, but I can tell you from experience that the hair you will lose trying does not grow back...
I know Burnova can accept MP4, and Handbrake can Convert to MP4, but I thought I had to first make the Videos into a Format that DVD/Blu-Ray Players can read. Are you saying that is not the case??
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Many BD players can accept a wide variety of h.264 or h.265 video. If the player accepts streaming video, it is probably very flexible. Many of these will play video on CD, DVD, and BD data disks, without all the menus and such being needed.

But the standard isn't so flexible, and there are players that implement THE STANDARD, NOTHING MORE AND NOTHING LESS.
Deleted User 13735

I know Burnova can accept MP4, and Handbrake can Convert to MP4, but I thought I had to first make the Videos into a Format that DVD/Blu-Ray Players can read. Are you saying that is not the case??
That is not the case, and unfortunately you are conflating three separate scenarios. Apples, Oranges, and Kumquats, oh my!

1. You can provide your authoring program with a BD-Compliant AND Authoring Program-Compliant file, that hopefully will Mux to your DVD/BD folder without recompression. This only takes a couple of minutes (when it works). That is the preferred scenario, but most people do not have an NLE or the knowledge to do this. I am almost certain you will not accomplish that in Handbrake, which is not intended nor configured to encode compliant files for Burnova.

2. You can give your authoring program a common video file, which it will then demux, re-encode, and burn to a compliant DVD/BD folder structure. This is the most common approach for consumers, and the one I recommend for you. It takes much longer to re-encode than it does to mux a file.

3. You can drop a common video file on a writable data disc, in which case it will play on most players, without titles, menus, navigation, or features.

Handbrake will decode unprotected disc structures, but it will not author nor easily encode compliant files for use in a third-party author/burn program, with the exception I noted. For your work, pick #2.
Kriz24

Post by Kriz24 »

musicvid wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:17 pm
That is not the case, and unfortunately you are conflating three separate scenarios. Apples, Oranges, and Kumquats, oh my!

1. You can provide your authoring program with a BD-Compliant AND Authoring Program-Compliant file, that hopefully will Mux to your DVD/BD folder without recompression. This only takes a couple of minutes (when it works). That is the preferred scenario, but most people do not have an NLE or the knowledge to do this. I am almost certain you will not accomplish that in Handbrake, which is not intended nor configured to encode compliant files for Burnova.

2. You can give your authoring program a common video file, which it will then demux, re-encode, and burn to a compliant DVD/BD folder structure. This is the most common approach for consumers, and the one I recommend for you. It takes much longer to re-encode than it does to mux a file.

3. You can drop a common video file on a writable data disc, in which case it will play on most players, without titles, menus, navigation, or features.

Handbrake will decode unprotected disc structures, but it will not author nor easily encode compliant files for use in a third-party author/burn program, with the exception I noted. For your work, pick #2.
Sorry if I'm not understanding right away... you use a lot of big words, lol, but are you saying as long as the Videos are in a Format that Burnova accepts I do not need to Convert the Video Files first... like, at all??
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Indeed.
Kriz24

Post by Kriz24 »

mduell wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:40 pmIndeed.
Ok. That actually saves me a lot of time and hassle, lol. Thank you very much for the information Friendo!! :D