Handbrake doesn't open in windows 10

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
pk_hand

Handbrake doesn't open in windows 10

Post by pk_hand »

Description of problem or question:

Handbrake simply won't open or start. There are no error dialogs of any kind.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
Double click on handbrake shortcut icon, or select it from the start menu, tried to run as administrator, tried to run in safe mode as I saw other threads saying this helped, BUT that was because they were using intel display drivers that became disabled in safe mode. My laptop does not contain intel display drivers, only one nvidia driver for my GPU.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10 home build 17763

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Activity log does not exist. No handbrake folders exist in the appdata folders

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Handbrake doesn't open in windows 10

Post by Woodstock »

Failure to start usually means Windows is interfering for some reason. What does the Windows Event Viewer have recorded?
pk_hand

Post by pk_hand »

edited
Last edited by pk_hand on Wed May 15, 2019 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
pk_hand

Post by pk_hand »

I don't even know what to look for there. I've opened the event viewer and refreshed it after trying to start handbrake. I'm not sure where to look, but there was something to do with .net. The documentation for handbrake suggests that we don't need to download .NET for windows 10 because it already has it, but I tried to get the latest version anyway but it gave an error during installation and didn't complete. Let me know if there's something else I should be looking at to find the problem. It seems we can't post screenshots directly in here, they have to exist on the web somewhere. VERY user unfriendly for a support forum! Anyway, here's one of the error message I got in the event viewer. The source was ".NET runtime"

Application: HandBrake.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: exception code e0434352, exception address 00007FF84B199129 Stack:
rjva

Post by rjva »

I'm having the same issue. I just installed HandBrake for the first time. I got the latest version (1.2.2) running on my desktop, but it won't work on my laptop (Dell XPS 13 9370), which is what I originally wan'ted to use it on. It just doesn't open. I've updated Windows, installed the latest .NET Framework, running as administrator, running in compatibility mode, uninstalling/reinstalling, all the other troubleshooting steps I could think of.

Eventually, I tried installing older versions of HandBrake, and I was able to get the 32-bit version of 1.07 to launch. No idea why it won't launch any 64-bit version.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Make sure your Intel UHD Graphics drivers are up-to-date From Intels site, not Dell

Same applies to those with Nvidia or AMD parts. All 3 vendors have a drivers that work, and those that don't. Failing that, something a bit more complex is broken on these systems and unfortunately there won't be any easy way of tracking that down. You'd get into GDB debugging territory to find out what is actually crashing. (System, Driver or HandBrake)
rjva

Post by rjva »

I can't get the graphics driver from Intel. I get this message:

A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver & Support Assistant is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.

When I try to install a generic driver anyway, I get a message saying it won't install because the driver isn't validated for this computer.

But it's not like the XPS 13 is an obscure laptop. If it were an issue with its graphics driver, I'd expect this problem to be a bit more widespread.

Anyway, here's the error in the Event Viewer from the last time I tried to open it:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 5/16/2019 2:31:50 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: LAPTOP-K4DDOFE9
Description:
Faulting application name: HandBrake.exe, version: 1.2.2.0, time stamp: 0x5c7180e9
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00007ffafffffffe
Faulting process id: 0x3120
Faulting application start time: 0x01d50c159f3d66bc
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\HandBrake\HandBrake.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: edef934d-9db3-4477-ba03-ec96cd4af7ab
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-05-16T18:31:50.210459600Z" />
<EventRecordID>2794</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>LAPTOP-K4DDOFE9</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>HandBrake.exe</Data>
<Data>1.2.2.0</Data>
<Data>5c7180e9</Data>
<Data>unknown</Data>
<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
<Data>00000000</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>00007ffafffffffe</Data>
<Data>3120</Data>
<Data>01d50c159f3d66bc</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files\HandBrake\HandBrake.exe</Data>
<Data>unknown</Data>
<Data>edef934d-9db3-4477-ba03-ec96cd4af7ab</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

0xc0000005 is just a generic unknown error.

To get a hard crash like this on startup, it has to be a low level operation so it's highly likely to the be quicksync probe that's causing it. (and has been for several other users). The fix for them was updating drivers so your a bit screwed if Dell are unnecessarily locking things down.
But it's not like the XPS 13 is an obscure laptop. If it were an issue with its graphics driver, I'd expect this problem to be a bit more widespread.
Your not the first to report this behaviour. We've had a few dozen reports (mostly from AMD on their APU side, and Intel across the board)
NickF123

Post by NickF123 »

Are any of you attempting to run 64 bit version of handbrake on 32 bit version of Windows 10?
pk_hand

Post by pk_hand »

So I've installed the latest Nvidia driver for my graphics card and I still get the same errors. One is a .NET error, and another is an app error for handbrake. Can anyone suggest why it doesn't work anymore? Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative software?

Application: HandBrake.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code e0434352, exception address 00007FFD5A399129
Stack:

Faulting application name: HandBrake.exe, version: 1.2.2.0, time stamp: 0x5c7180e9
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17763.475, time stamp: 0x69a188f0
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000039129
Faulting process id: 0x261c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5156855f5756b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\HandBrake\HandBrake.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: d96423e1-45bf-41e9-8795-35b3158c1c19
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
brooklynlou
New User

Post by brooklynlou »

Same issue. Installed 1.2.2.0 on a Windows 10 / Dell Latitude 5290. Launched it, task manager says the operation was suspended.
Updated the video drivers from the Dell site, launched it with the same lack of results.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Dell doesn't appear to supply drivers up-to-date drivers so you'd need to get drivers direct from Intel.

@pk_hand, make sure you also update Intel UHD drivers if your chip has onboard graphics too. You've got a system level crash. Also maybe worth re-installing .NET Framework 4.7.1 on the off chance that helps.
pk_hand

Post by pk_hand »

s55 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:27 pm Dell doesn't appear to supply drivers up-to-date drivers so you'd need to get drivers direct from Intel.

@pk_hand, make sure you also update Intel UHD drivers if your chip has onboard graphics too. You've got a system level crash. Also maybe worth re-installing .NET Framework 4.7.1 on the off chance that helps.
I don't have any intel display drivers, only one nvidia driver for my 1070 card. The documentation says that windows 10 should already have .net and so doesn't need to be installed, but I tried installing a newer version anyway, but it failed. Handbrake USED to work on this laptop, but it stopped at some point. (probably after a windows update) I don't know where to go from here. The error message for the .net failed installation said to check a log file, but the file is huge and there's no place where I can see directions on what to do, even though windows said that info should be in the log.
pk_hand

Post by pk_hand »

To update, I tried checking windows update with the trouble shooter and it doesn't find any problems, even though it can't install the latest update to .net. The latest one I do have seems to be 4.7.2 though, which SHOULD work with handbrake, but it's not.
Even so, I tried to fix the .net install using DISM restorehealth option, but it errors out at about the 85.4% mark saying it can't find sources. I do more digging and find out I can download an ISO of the latest windows using windows media creation tool, so I do that, I mount the ISO, the source is an install.esd file in my now-mounted E:\sources\ folder and I try DISM again, this time specifying the source as it asked me to using DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:E:\sources\install.esd but it STILL gives the error saying it can't find the source. Now I look online for this error code 0x800f081f and one of the first fixes for this is to make changes using group policy editor which is NOT available in windows 10 home. Now I'm reading pages with peoples hacks and exe files to enable group policy editor and I'm wondering if this is all worth it. As far as I can tell, handbrake stopped working even though I always had the .NET installation that is compatible with it. I only tried updating my .NET as a last resort just in case it could fix the problem, but I'm still no closer to solving this now and have jumped through many hoops.
What's the problem? Is there somewhere I can download an older version of handbrake? EDIT: I was looking in windows 10 download but just noticed old versions have their own link in the main page. I'll try some of them out and see if there's any difference.
pk_hand

Post by pk_hand »

I tried a couple other older versions but there's no difference, they still don't run, with no error message popping up or anything, just entries that I can see in the event viewer that they've crashed.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I was under the impression this was no longer an issue (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=36537&p=181238) but might be worth checking?

Failing that, I have don't have any further ideas. It's the sort of thing that would require dev tools and debugging skills to really trace down properly which unfortunately we can't do remotely.
pk_hand

Post by pk_hand »

No I don't have either of those tools on my computer. I have .NET 4.7.2 installed, no intel drivers or either of those tools running and handbrake just stopped working, presumably after a windows update. The only thing I can think to do is once again reset my pc, which I don't really want to (for a fourth time now!) just to get one piece of software working again. If anyone has experience with alternatives to handbrake, I'd be happy to hear of them.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Any chance you could look to see what the last set of updates where that was installed? There should be a View Update History button on the updates page.

Failing that, Most of the most popular alternatives are all listed on Alternativeto.net
letchhausen
New User

Post by letchhausen »

I'm getting the same issues. Was using HandBrake last night and today it won't open. I'm using 1.2.2 and have uninstalled and reinstalled, clearing folders, reg, etc. I have updated NVidia drivers for my GTX1080. No Win Updates since the 11th and I used Handbrake on the 12th. I did uninstall Adobe Premiere and other components today. I did run Windows updates today to make sure everything is up to date. I have .Net 4.7.2. At one point, the error noted above, "Faulting blah" was writing to Event Viewer. Now I get nothing in EV and there is no Activity Log in the HB folder. Any ideas?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Any other software running in the background? I.e. Gaming, overclocking, system info, video capture, utility tools in particular?

Anything else receive a software update?

Anti-virus / firewall -> maybe try adding HandBrake as an exception if your running it. Try disabling it for 2 minutes to test?

Also, if you run "winver" from the start menu, what version of 10 are you using? 1803? 1809? 1903?

Something must have changed for it to suddenly stop working. Just need to figure out what.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I've just had a report from another user saying installing 4.7.1 didn't fix the issue, but 4.8 did.
Not quite sure why this would make any difference, but if any folks don't have 4.8 installed want to give it a short and report back, that would be helpful
PixlViz

Post by PixlViz »

Just ran into an issue with HB failing to start after the latest Windows10 feature update.
On a hunch (and previous solved issues), I disabled the intel gfx drivers (using both nvidia and intel on this PC, multiple displays), and then HB started just fine. With HB running, I re-enabled the intel driver to get the display on it back, and then ran the encodes (on cpu, not gpu) previously queued in HB with no issues.

I guess the intel driver has issues, so the detection done by HB during load fails and just drops out.
This works for me for now, until intel puts out a new updated driver.
genematcher
New User

Post by genematcher »

This worked for me as well. HB had been working fine forever until recently. Double clicking on the icon did nothing.

I disabled my Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 driver and now HB starts as usual.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I assume your running the latest Intel Driver? Did re-enabling bring back the problem?
lew

Post by lew »

Same issue. 64bit version handbrake 1.2.2 with Intel UHD Graphics 630 driver
I suddenly had the issue with hand brake. I uninstalled, manually deleted config files, rebooted then installed 1.2.2 Problem persisted.