HDR support roadmap?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
uclajames

HDR support roadmap?

Post by uclajames »

I was curious if anyone had any info or insights on full implementation of the various flavors of HDR (Dolby Vision, HDR10, etc.) support? Searching through the forum I see that there isn't 10-bit support yet which obviously limits actual support of these. But was just wondering if that is something on the roadmap and how far out those features are? I'd definitely be willing to pay for some sort of "pro" version that supported those.
Deleted User 13735

Re: HDR support roadmap?

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

But was just wondering if that is something on the roadmap and how far out those features are? I'd definitely be willing to pay for some sort of "pro" version that supported those.
1. We'll know when it's released, not a moment sooner.
2. No, donations or purchase are not possible.
Your kindest words to the volunteer developers are their encouragement, not a timeline.
uclajames

Post by uclajames »

Yea, that much I know! :)

I just wasn't sure if there was anything out there that I couldn't find through searching. I wish I was savvy enough to contribute code. All I have is my enthusiastic usage of the app. But I'd definitely love to be able to make a nice h265 file with all its 4k hdr goodness in tact!
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

You can take comfort in knowing that your wish is shared by many here.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

HandBrake has no roadmaps. We mostly work on what interests us as time permits. I've made some headway in implementing the colorspace support needed for HDR. But I've not worked on it lately. Time constraints and other interesting projects (e.g. Queue Redesign) create diversions.

All who wander are not lost :mrgreen:
uclajames

Post by uclajames »

That's exciting! Any reason why you don't have a donation option for Handbrake? I personally like to support people's hard work.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

uclajames wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:21 pm That's exciting! Any reason why you don't have a donation option for Handbrake? I personally like to support people's hard work.
Accepting donations comes with an implicit agreement that we would use that money in the support of HandBrake. People who make donations would expect that their requests are acted upon in a timely manner. We prefer to have no such obligations. We prefer to keep a hobby project atmosphere where people can work on whatever interests them.

We all have regular full time jobs. HandBrake is literally a hobby for us all and that's the way we like it.
Rumourd

Post by Rumourd »

This software is amazing. That is all.