Using the Automatic Naming feature

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
leftnotracks

Using the Automatic Naming feature

Post by leftnotracks »

I want to use the Automatic naming feature but as far as I can tell it is useless. The only variable that has any use is Source, and that's just the filename of the source video. Title just produces a number that increments if I have more than one file in a source folder.

Is there any way to make this feature useful? Is there any was to use regal expressions in the name, for example to remove cruft from the filename or convert periods to spaces?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Using the Automatic Naming feature

Post by Woodstock »

The usefulness varies with how you're using handbrake.

My "auto" set up uses {source_folder_name} to decide which directory the destination file goes to, and {source} for the format of the name itself. "Replace underscores with a space" is checked, but I don't let handbrake change the case or remove punctuation.

The reason that works for me is that the file name is assigned when MakeMKV rips the disk. Other macros apply to things I don't use, because I don't try to use handbrake as a ripper.
leftnotracks

Re: Using the Automatic Naming feature

Post by leftnotracks »

Are you using a different version than I am? I see no option for (source_folder_name) nor any option to specify the destination directory.

Are there hidden options I am unaware of? There is nothing in the documentation about this.
https://i.imgur.com/Qzczarz.png

I am trying to link to an image but it does not appear. It shows my preferences window (Mac 1.2). The only available variables for autonaming are:
  • Source
  • Title
  • Date
  • Time
  • Creation-Date
  • Creation-Time
  • Chapters
  • Quality/Bitrate
Below are check boxes for:
  • Replace underscores with spaces
  • Remove common punctuation
  • Change case to Title Case
There is no option for specifying a destination. There is no variable for source_folder_name.