Question: Is 'Web Optimized' enabled by default in CLI?

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Kaulquappe

Question: Is 'Web Optimized' enabled by default in CLI?

Post by Kaulquappe »

I forgot to append --optimize (but also didn't append --no-optimize) when using the current CLI version and did not use any preset.

So I wonder, what is the default behaviour then?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Question: Is 'Web Optimized' enabled by default in CLI?

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Depends on what preset you use. Presets intended for web delivery or streaming have this enabled by default.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Kaulquappe

Post by Kaulquappe »

JohnAStebbins wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:55 pm Depends on what preset you use. Presets intended for web delivery or streaming have this enabled by default.
I did not use a preset:
Kaulquappe wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:01 pm [...] and did not use any preset.
Command I've used:

Code: Select all

HandBrakeCLI.exe --input "raw.mkv" --output "rendered.mp4" --audio-lang-list "und" --native-language "deu" --all-audio --quality 19 --rate 30 --pfr --ab 320 --encoder nvenc_h264 --width 1920 --height 1080 --crop 0:0:0:0
I now see that the default preset which is used will be the preset with the name CLI Default. Optimization seems to be disabled because Mp4Optimize is set to false.

I've checked the MP4 file and it seems, the MOOV atom is - as expected - not positioned at the beginning:

Code: Select all

root:~# qtfaststart -l video.mp4
ftyp (32 bytes)
mdat (4445064076 bytes)
moov (13214296 bytes)
However, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are able to play a MP4 with 4 GB at any position without any problem which is quite interesting because in the past they were not able to do that. Does anyone know why is that?
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Because if your web server supports it, HTTP allows your browser to request any byte range. So it asks for the end if the file first to figure things out.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

BradleyS wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:35 pm Because if your web server supports it, HTTP allows your browser to request any byte range. So it asks for the end if the file first to figure things out.
Is that only with HTML5 ?
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Not related to HTML. HTTP 1.1 supports it, just need the web server software to support it and be enabled.