Where are settings stored? Move settings file to install dir?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
pstein

Where are settings stored? Move settings file to install dir?

Post by pstein »

I downloaded and extracted the portable zip 64bit version of Handbrake in Win7.

After start I changed e.g. the path to VLC videoplayer in Preferences and expected to find the file where it is stored somewhere in extraction folder.

But all the *.config files in HB folder do NOT contain this information.

Where is it stored?
In Registry?

I want to keep Handbrake really portable and want to store all settings in HB folder (e.g. D:\tools\video\Handbrake\).

How can I achieve this?

Is there a way to call Handbrake with user config as cmdline parameter similar to

D:\tools\video\Handbrake\Handbrake.exe -config=D:\tools\video\Handbrake\myprefs.config

or even better with relative path:

D:\tools\video\Handbrake\Handbrake.exe -config=.\myprefs.config

?

If NOT: Can this be added to next release?

Thank you
Peter
keber007

Re: Where are settings stored? Move settings file to install dir?

Post by keber007 »

I have a similar question. I have recently upgraded my PC, leading to a clean install of windows 10. I have not been able to locate where the custom preset information is stored. I have the same version (1.0.7) running now as i did on my previous PC. My goal is to duplicate the presets i had on my old computer on this one. Can anyone help with where these files/reg keys are located? I am fully capable of making the edits, just need to know where the locations are!

Thanks for anyone who can help!
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

You need to enable portable mode with portable.ini Instructions inside the included template.
keber007

Post by keber007 »

s55,

Thanks for the response. I no longer have the original drive as bootable, as that hardware set is dissassembed & replaced during my upgrade. i need to pull the settings from that drive, whether they are in registry or other file location, they have to be stored somewhere. Do you know where or not?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

%appdata%\handBrake will take you to the folder.
keber007

Post by keber007 »

s55, I thought i had copy/pasted all the files from that dir already, but that did the trick! thanks for your help!