Preset for ChromeBook (Samsung Series 5)

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
TehCount

Preset for ChromeBook (Samsung Series 5)

Post by TehCount »

Looking to create a good video preset for the Samsung ChromeBook (Series 5). Here is all the information I could find on the hardware specs and supported video...

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/chro ... S-features
http://www.google.com/support/chromeos/ ... wer=183093

Hardware wise the Samsung ChromeBook has a Intel® ATOM Processor N570, 2GB of DDR3 Memory, and a NM10 Graphics Chipset with a resolution of 1280x800 Resolution (12.1" Screen Size). It has 16GB SSD (mSATA) onboard storage.
Software wise it runs the Chrome OS; The ChromeBook has an offline file browser which plays the following media formats: mp4, .m4v, .m4a, .mp3, .ogv, .ogm, .ogg, .oga, .webm, .wav.

I have found from testing with YouTube that the Samsung plays 480p OK, but this seems to be the limit. 720p is extremely choppy and I didn't even bother trying 1080p. Now this is with YouTube, so I'm unsure yet of whether it can play 720p or higher using the offline video player (I am encoding videos currently and will respond with another post containing my findings). So far I'm trying the Apple presets and the Standard preset. Resolution wise the Apple TV 2 preset looks to be the closest.

Any experts out there who can whip up a decent preset for this device? I will be happy to assist by testing different presets, and seeing if HD is viable using the offline file player.
Zeldegrimm

Re: Preset for ChromeBook (Samsung Series 5)

Post by Zeldegrimm »

I would greatly appreciate if you could share anything you found to work. I know absolutely nothing about this stuff but I'm trying to convert files from my mac to be compatible with Chromebook and this is the closest I've come to finding all the information I need for the various setting options. I have a 10yr old friend with a chromebook who doesn't have any internet access and is absolutely in love with Steven Universe and I would really love to be able to mail her a flash drive of playable videos soon 🖤Thank you so much!
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

I'd start with the Fast 720p preset, and then choose the fastdecode encoder tune since your playback environment is so performance constrained.

Maybe pick a slower encoder preset if you don't actually need fast encodes, the Fast 720p preset is just an easy way to get a lot of things (resolution, audio, etc) set reasonably.

If you're streaming over the network, check the web optimized button. If you're trying to fit it in local storage, you're probably going to need a pretty high RF setting (high 20s?) if you want more than a couple videos, which may motivate you to pick a slower encoder preset to get more quality with small size.
Zeldegrimm

Post by Zeldegrimm »

Thank you so much!