[SOLVED] Handbrake can't even starts...

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
leoncheong

[SOLVED] Handbrake can't even starts...

Post by leoncheong »

Description of problem or question:
When I double click on it, nothing happened. When I have the task manager opened, i see a copy of Handbrake started, then a second copy with the word "suspended" beside it. And within seconds, both copies disappeared.

I have used handbrake before. This is a new motherboard but with old HDD. I recall it was running well earlier but I cannot be certain.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
I can always re-product it.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
1.2.2 portable version. The same folder was transported to another win10 machine without any problem.

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Window 10, the most updated version.

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)
Under C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\HandBrake\logs, I cannot find any log file. Just a settings.json file that will re-create if I deleted it.

I also tried the CLI version, same outcome.

Solution: Install the new Intel Display driver.

Thank you so much for your helo!
Last edited by leoncheong on Sat May 04, 2019 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Handbrake can't even starts...

Post by Woodstock »

Windows has an error log that should have something about this - the "Event Viewer".

Most likely cause is the new system doesn't allow you to write to places handbrake needs to write to, and you have to give it permission. Handbrake keeps logs in your "user home" area, and security settings activated in the last major windows update block programs from writing to that area.
mahsoommoosa42
New User

Post by mahsoommoosa42 »

Same issue. I think it began after the most recent Windows 10 Update.
mahsoommoosa42
New User

Post by mahsoommoosa42 »

Same Issue. Started Today. It could be due to the recent Intel Graphics Driver Update. A possibility. My activity logs were completely empty.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Handbrake keeps logs in your "user home" area, and security settings activated in the last major windows update block programs from writing to that area.
Where are you getting this from? I think I've only ever seen 1 case where permissions were screwed and that was result of user error.

If windows affected userdata permissions, virtually every app would break.
Same Issue. Started Today. It could be due to the recent Intel Graphics Driver Update. A possibility. My activity logs were completely empty.
Grab the Intel driver of the official website and see if it helps.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... s-security

The October update to Win10 added a "feature" to block ransomware and other malware from touching your data. Programs have to be authorized to access certain areas, including every where under C:\Users. Some exceptions are already allowed, and USUALLY stuff already installed gets a pass, but new programs, especially if they're not "properly signed", need manual exceptions added.

Yes, it DOES affect a lot of software, and you really do not get very good error messages when it hits you - programs just stop working after you allow Windows to install the update.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

HandBrake is properly signed and is known to Microsoft.

It's far more likely that they keep pushing out the bad Intel UHD driver from a month or two ago.