When encoding from a DVD/bluray does HB make a back up and encode from that?

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
exodous

When encoding from a DVD/bluray does HB make a back up and encode from that?

Post by exodous »

Description of problem or question:
I noticed once I start encoding videos with HB, even when doing the entire disk, it quits reading. Does HB make a temporary backup of my disk on my computer and then pull from that? I have been making .iso files and then encoding from that, is that a wasted step? I just always thought it would be less wear on my drives if I made a .iso first.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Linux Mint 19.1
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: When encoding from a DVD/bluray does HB make a back up and encode from that?

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
mduell
Veteran User

Re: When encoding from a DVD/bluray does HB make a back up and encode from that?

Post by mduell »

No.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Handbrake reads the data as it needs it. Your system, noticing how little RAM handbrake needs, probably has dedicated it to caching the ISO file, limiting how much it "seems" handbrake is reading.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Amount of Ram doesn't affect how HandBrake reads a source. The system will move into pagefile if there is insufficient memory.

HandBrake will be reading from the drive although it's probable that it'll be spinning quite slowly as you won't need the full 16x speed.
exodous

Post by exodous »

Ok, I notice now that the light does go from solid to flashing. I'm encoding on a notebook so maybe the encoding is taking longer than the reading. I always ripped directly to .iso and then ripped from that as to not wear down my drive/media but if it is this gentle with them I might not make .iso files anymore.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Tools designed for ripping, like MakeMKV and such, will read the optical as fast as it can be read, or as fast as the data can be written to the destination, if write speed is limited. They usually are about the same speed as programs that make ISOs, while removing the copy protection at the same time.

Operating like that DOES "back up" the media first, but it also takes away a number of stumbling blocks that handbrake isn't intended to deal with.