View original bitrates of a video file?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Blacklion62
New User

View original bitrates of a video file?

Post by Blacklion62 »

Hello all.

Thank you for an awesome product!! I've rediscovered Handbrake after a prolonged absence. I'm currently running version 1.2.2, Windows 7.

As a question, using Handbrake, is it possible to view the audio and video bitrates of a video file? I can see what my settings are under 'Summary, but would like to have the other information to aid in selecting bitrates, in the case of needing to reencode the audio, not just pass through.

Thank you again for the hard work and great result!!

James
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: View original bitrates of a video file?

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

You can see from the log, for some files, what the average is. However, this is not a good indicator for choosing bitrate of the output.
Bigo2
Novice

Post by Bigo2 »

You need to know the details about the original video file you gonna process in the HandBrake?
Download an excellent freeware utility called MediaInfo. After the installation MediaInfo appears in the Context Menu. When you right click your media file a little window opens with many details concerning video, audio, text etc. The MediaInfo screen is configurable I prefer the text output format...