About Upscaling

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Bigo2
Novice

About Upscaling

Post by Bigo2 »

Description of problem or question:
Hi, just a question about upscaling: I'm using an older nightly version (2018 I think) where the upscaling is sort of possible as it was described by NMaverick here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=36307&p=170608&hil ... le#p170608
Now I'm thinking about updating to a new HandBrake version especially because of the NVenc implementation, but I don't want to loose this upscaling feature. Can anybody please let me know if that obscure upscaling posibility as described is still there, and if not, when it was removed and also when it will be implemented as promised long time ago?
I have found it is sometimes handy when working with old B/W wrongly converted movies...
Thanks.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: About Upscaling

Post by mduell »

Upscaling is not available in the GUI because it's mostly misused/misunderstood by users.

Upscaling is available in the CLI for users that know what they're doing.
Bigo2
Novice

Post by Bigo2 »

Thanks mduell, I understand the official position concerning this issue, however, I was asking:
Can somebody let me know when was the "obscure" upscaling possibility removed? I mean in what version of Handbrake was it was removed?
Also s55 said on Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:04 am: ...It's something we may support in the future with the new Picture settings panel design but that's some ways off yet...
And that's my next question: Is it coming soon?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

I've been using handbrake for a long time (since about 0.9.0), and the GUI has not allowed upscaling in all that time. You had to use the CLI to upscale.

So, effectively it has not been available for over 8 years. And it may not be a case of "it was removed", it may not have been included in the first place.
Bigo2
Novice

Post by Bigo2 »

Thanks Woodstock - please if you are interested open the link I supplied on top and read the first article - NMaverick's description how to do the upsacling - that really worked in older versions, I'm using an older nightly version (20171204-8e2a082) where it can be done...
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

It was likely a transitory bug that was available for e very limited time. It has been HandBrake policy to not allow upscaling in the GUI since I joined the project 11 years ago.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=36307&p=170608&hil ... le#p170612
Bigo2
Novice

Post by Bigo2 »

Thanks JohnAStebbins – sometimes there are cases when I use the upscaling. When I use it I can see instantly in the preview what is happening with the picture, how it is stretched, the ratio can be measured on the screen, something which I doubt could be done with the CLI.
Fortunately I have the nightly version with operational Anamorphic Custom setting where upscaling can be done (the method is described above in the top part) even without the knowledge of the CLI, so I will continue using it in case I need it.
You policy is not allowing upscaling in the GUI, in another words - common users might not understand it correctly, better not to allow them to have it, because they could misuse it… So what? Aren't there many other features in HandBrake which might be misunderstood and used wrongly?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

It's mostly a numbers game. Few people use a filter inappropriately because they think it's a good idea, although I'm sure some do. More will attempt to upscale video thinking they're improving quality, and worse there are tutorials out there suggesting people do so; in gross disproportion to those with a good understanding and use.
Bigo2
Novice

Post by Bigo2 »

Thanks mduell. Perhaps I'm wrong but here is my example:
PAL DVD standard is 720x576 which is 5:4, but many old movies used to be 4:3. So if I try to convert such a DVD to the original 4:3 aspect ratio I need to stretch it to 768x576, which you guys don't want me to do, or decrease the height from 576 to 540 loosing some information. With this feature I can do this easily. The same would apply to some other formats like the US Academy Ratio where I would keep the height 576 and stretch the width to 784.
Bigo2
Novice

Post by Bigo2 »

I was waiting 1 month for some answer... However, I actually understand why you did not answer: Because I'm right and you would have to agree that the feature should be available for everybody, not only for the those who are familiar with the CLI.
Or, if I'm not right, then why do you have it there at all?
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

No you don't need upscaling to convert a DVD. HandBrake will use the same exact pixel size as the original DVD, but DVD pixels are not square so in the end it will still be 4:3.

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.2.0/tech ... guide.html