Comvert MKV to MP4 and Keep Subs and Chapters

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Shibblet
Novice

Comvert MKV to MP4 and Keep Subs and Chapters

Post by Shibblet »

I currently use Handbrake to convert my Blu-Rays to MKV format, along with digital audio (passthrough), chapters, and the forced subtitles (not burned in.)

How can I convert this to an MP4, without having to re-encode the video, convert the audio to "Stereo", and keep the chapters and subtitles?
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Comvert MKV to MP4 and Keep Subs and Chapters

Post by mduell »

Not with HB.

Also you may not be able to keep the subs depending on their format.

mp4box or ffmpeg can do the remuxing for you.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The MP4 container is not compatible with PGS subtitles, which is why they must be burned in. Burned in means re-encoding the video... so that's out.

As mentioned, you can use ffmpeg to convert JUST the audio and write an MP4 file, so long as you give up on having switchable subtitles.

Is there a reason you need to move to MP4?
Shibblet
Novice

Post by Shibblet »

Woodstock wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:06 am The MP4 container is not compatible with PGS subtitles, which is why they must be burned in. Burned in means re-encoding the video... so that's out.

As mentioned, you can use ffmpeg to convert JUST the audio and write an MP4 file, so long as you give up on having switchable subtitles.

Is there a reason you need to move to MP4?
I have my Blu-Ray movies archived on my HD in MKV format. Sometimes the boy wants to go play them on his X-Box. So I put them on his jump drive, but they have to be in MP4 format in order to work.

I know how to convert the file to MP4 using AviDemux or FFMPEG, but I lose the chapters and subtitles. What I am trying to do is save myself the time of re-encoding.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

mp4box or ffmpeg can do the remuxing for you without reencoding. They can likely keep chapters, and maybe keep subs.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Naw, the subtitles being PGS means they'd not work in the MP4. But I thought there was an XBox player that could do MKV files...
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

I agree PGS subs are a problem, but with no logs we don't know the subs are PGS. We've seen plenty of people muxing in 3rd party subs, or getting out their peg leg, etc.
Shibblet
Novice

Post by Shibblet »

At this point, I am not so concerned about the subtitles, just the chapters. Any ideas?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Again, not with HB. You should consult the documentation for the tools I mentioned upthread to verify if they meet your requirements.