handbrake 1.2.2 (and earlier) don't use all available cpu power for dvds but do for blu-rays

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
nopc4me

handbrake 1.2.2 (and earlier) don't use all available cpu power for dvds but do for blu-rays

Post by nopc4me »

Description of problem or question:

2018 Mac Mini i7 processor (6 cores with hyper threading). Using the same source hard drive for both blu-rays and dvds. Why doesn't handbrake use the available cpu capabilities of my mac mini for dvds as fully as it does for blu-rays?

When I queue 20-30 blu-ray rips in the handbrake queue after a little bit of time (deinterlace off, rf=18, audio=passthru) my cpu usage is always very near or above 1000%.

When I queue 20-30 dvd rips in the handbrake queue after a little bit of time (deinterlace=decomb, rf=16, audio=aac coreaudio 320) my cpu usage is always in the 500 - 600% range.

Just wondering,
Greg
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: handbrake 1.2.2 (and earlier) don't use all available cpu power for dvds but do for blu-rays

Post by Woodstock »

Probably because you are using filters on the DVDs that limit how fast the processor can go.

It would be a lot easier to answer ambiguous questions like this with the REQUIRED logs for the problematic rips.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: handbrake 1.2.2 (and earlier) don't use all available cpu power for dvds but do for blu-rays

Post by mduell »

An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.

Yes, this is a support request. Even if you regard it as just a question. It relates to specific encodes you're doing with specific version/settings/source. No we can't really believe the information you've provided, nor does our history suggest it's accurate or complete.
video.baba
Novice

Post by video.baba »

You question has no merit, it is flawed. You are not comparing 'like for like'. One has filters one does not.
Also......
nopc4me wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:09 ammy cpu usage is always very near or above 1000%.
Really? How can it be more than 100%? 100% = full... How can it be 1000%? Do you have ten of them?
nopc4me wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:09 ammy cpu usage is always in the 500 - 600% range.
Really? (see same answer to above)
There's obviously some confusion on your part here. I do not now where you got those values.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

No, he's right. On macOS it counts 100 for each core.

Anyway, multithreading is hard. And having a bigger image to work on helps because things will take longer and so you have to synchronise with the others threads less often.
nopc4me

Post by nopc4me »

The DVD files I mentioned were episodes from a TV series. The blu-rays I mentioned were full length studio released movies. As such, I thought Ritsuka may be on to something because the DVD files only averaged about 1GB in size. The blu-rays files ranged from 16-44GB in size.

I got a full length studio released movie from a DVD (4.5GB), I used the same settings as I did for the blu-rays and handbrake used 500-600% of my mac mini's cpu to process that DVD movie. Same as the TV episodes.

I've eliminated the hard drive as the problem.
I've eliminated my filters as the problem.
I've eliminated the size of the DVD file as the problem.

Since Larry, Curly and Moe commented so nicely on my observations/facts and were incorrect on almost everything they replied, I'm not sure if I want to bother with this. I rarely deal with DVDs anymore, just thought there was a simple explanation for what I'm seeing.

Ritsuka, do you care about what I'm observing and want the activity logs?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

nopc4me wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:26 pm Ritsuka, do you care about what I'm observing and want the activity logs?
It's more a question of, do YOU care about getting your question answered, and providing the information necessary to do it?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

With only 6 physical cores, you're not really gaining much by going over 600%. HT lets you get to 1200%, but not much additional useful work is done for video encoding. You can "eliminate" only 600% CPU usage as being "the problem".