Forced subtitle setting getting cleared

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
tucobenedito1

Forced subtitle setting getting cleared

Post by tucobenedito1 »

Hi,

I am frequently seeing an issue where I will set "forced only" for English subtitles in the handbrake UI (v 1.2.0) for videos I am batch processing, yet when I look at the handbrake log forced is set to false. It seems to be an intermittent problem, and I explicitly verify "forced" is set before adding the video to the queue. When I later re-encode the video by re-importing the file etc and setting "forced" to true again, the encoding works correctly with forced set to true. I verify this by looking in the handbrake log (snippet below for when "forced" is false):

"Subtitle": {
"Search": {
"Burn": false,
"Default": false,
"Enable": false,
"Forced": false
},
"SubtitleList": [
{
"Burn": true,
"Default": false,
"Forced": false,
"ID": 1,
"Offset": 0,
"Track": 0
}
]
},

Additionally, I'd ideally like to be able set the default subtitle handling. For most of my encodings, I only load the first "English" subtitle track and want "forced" and "burn-in" set. I can't figure out a way to set this default where both forced and burn-in are set as I always need to manually set "forced". I mention this both in case it is related to the above issue as well to ask if anyone has guidance on how to set the default.

Thank you
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Forced subtitle setting getting cleared

Post by Woodstock »

"Forced only" will only accept individual subtitles that are flagged as "forced" in a subtitle stream. No flag, no subtitle.
tucobenedito1

Post by tucobenedito1 »

Thanks for responding. I apologize for not being clear. I understand what the behavior of the subtitle "forced only" flag is, and when it is enabled in an encoding I only see the forced subtitles in the encoded video.

The issue I am having is the global flag "Forced only" that I set in the handbrake UI is somehow getting unset before the batch encoding of several videos occurs, meaning I am getting all subtitles, not just the forced ones, in the output. Is it a known issue that batch encoding will sometimes unset the flag for a bunch of videos being processed in batch?

Also, please see my other question above regarding whether there is a way to set the default subtitle behavior to set "forced only". I do not see a way in subtitle defaults to do so and must manually set it for each video I want to encode (and per the above, there are cases where the forced-only flag gets unset at the beginning of the batch encode for all videos in the queue).

Thank you
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.

Show us the log where you set it and then ran a batch.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

A lot depends on whether you saved the behaviour for "forced only" as part of a preset, and then made that preset active before you did the "add all".

Just loading a preset and making a change, that change is ONLY active for the currently-selected source file. "Add all" behaviour is based on the SAVED preset.
tucobenedito1

Post by tucobenedito1 »

Thanks. I have explicitly saved the updated preset first. This includes selecting "forced-only" in the subtitles tab before updating the preset. What I note is that when I later import a file with the same preset I'd previously saved the "forced-only" flag under subtitles is not checked anymore. This is what I am having to explicitly set for each file to be encoded. Note as well that I am adding files to encode one-at-a-time (I do not add all), selecting the "forced-only" box and then adding the file to the queue. It seems like the "forced-only" flag is not something I can save as part of a preset. Is this true?

If I am adding files one-at-a-time, modifying a few presets for each, and then adding each to the queue, will the preset values at the time the file was added to the queue or will the preset values come from the saved preset instead?

Thank you.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Did you change the behaviour on the subtitle defaults page, or just flag a subtitle with the forced checkbox?

For both audio and subtitles, you can define behaviours, but not specify specific tracks.
tucobenedito1

Post by tucobenedito1 »

I flagged an English subtitle with forced. Behavior aligns with your assertion that I can't explicitly set forced as a default. I have noted that if the subtitle selection behavior is foreign audio preferred, else first track then "forced-only" is automatically set for me. But, if the selection behavior is "first track", forced-only is not selected. The behavior I'd like to have is for "forced-only" to be set in the case the selection behavior is "first track".

Thank you.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Looking at the current behaviour screen, the only option that will actually select "forced only" is the Foreign Audio Scan, because it will look specifically for "forced" flags as part of its selection process.

Beyond that, "forced only" is roughly equivalent to "do not include subtitles", because the flag is so rarely used.