Handbrake only showing one episode on disc

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
cwillis0071

Handbrake only showing one episode on disc

Post by cwillis0071 »

Description of problem or question:
So I've been ripping anime DVds to my external hard drive and everything is going well. The problem is that the software recognizes everything everything thats on the disc for realeases by every company like funimation, but only shows that there's one episode on a disc for releases by Sentai Filmworks. I don't know why this is. I don't know if Funimation and Sentai DVDs have a different format and that's the reason. Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can rip all my DVDs. It's not that their copy protected. I've already installed a DVD decrypter.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

I have Handbrake version 1.2.0

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

I have Windows 10 64-bit

HandBrake Activity Log ***required***

Activity Log:
https://pastebin.com/Y9prUC2n
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Handbrake only showing one episode on disc

Post by mduell »

HB isn't intended for ripping commercial disks, regardless of any third party hacks you've added.

Use an app for that purpose, like MakeMKV, and then use HB if you need further processing.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Sentai often has a "play all" title, but usually also has individual titles for each episode. Funimation does this, too.

It's relatively simple to deal with in MakeMKV, plus you can also rip the BD versions, which aren't interlaced like the DVD versions. And handbrake works quite well with the resultant MKV files.
FelixB

Post by FelixB »

mduell wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:18 pm HB isn't intended for ripping commercial disks, regardless of any third party hacks you've added.

Use an app for that purpose, like MakeMKV, and then use HB if you need further processing.
Hi,
I am ripping instructional DVD's for my own use. These are not commercial discs so I am not infringing copyright laws.
Does this mean that I am actually looking at the wrong tool?

I have numerous instructional DVD's that I'd like to have as separate files for each chapter to use as a library.
Should I be looking at another tool? I have previously been using the Handbrake GUI for this but I find it cumbersome to add all chapters manually to get separate files.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

You know, it makes no difference if they are instructional or whatever.
Either they are encrypted or they or not. Handbrake does not decrypt.
Spouting fair-use entitlements in a public forum raises suspicion.
FelixB

Post by FelixB »

Huh?
Was that directed at me? My discs are not encrypted. I have no interest in ripping copyright material - my netflix account sorts that out.
I plainly asked a question about this being the right tool or not.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

So, you are encouraged to download Handbrake for free; and,
Start your own thread with your encode logs if you have questions.
Again, your fair use missive is unnecessary.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

FelixB wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:10 am
mduell wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:18 pm HB isn't intended for ripping commercial disks, regardless of any third party hacks you've added.

Hi,
I am ripping instructional DVD's for my own use. These are not commercial discs so I am not infringing copyright laws.
Does this mean that I am actually looking at the wrong tool?

I have numerous instructional DVD's that I'd like to have as separate files for each chapter to use as a library.
Should I be looking at another tool? I have previously been using the Handbrake GUI for this but I find it cumbersome to add all chapters manually to get separate files.
Yes, HB is the wrong tool for ripping amateur DVDs, in addition to being the wrong tool for ripping commercial DVDs.

For ripping disks you want MakeMKV. Then use HB if you need further processing for size or compatibility.
FelixB

Post by FelixB »

Thank you very much for you answer!